[solved] Sun Netra X1 - Adding a Second Hard Drive

As the title suggests, I'm trying to install a second drive (really want an OS mirror) on a Sun Netra X1.

I've taken the spacer out, and had a go at with the drill-press so now I have a nice HDD tray. Have installed an IDE drive in the tray, plugged in the power and data cables that were dangling handily in the right spots already and powered up.

No sign I'd done a thing, one drive only still, working as before, no indication of a new drive.

Exploring the device tree at the OK> prompt shows one PCI directory, one harddrive in it. No cdrom or other indicators that it's seeing a thing.

A boot -r changes nothing

From the OS, "disks" does nothing, "devfsadm" does nothing (also tried with -C out of superstition).
dmesg shows no errors, and no indication there's anything plugged in.

I was careful of metal shavings, shorts, physical damage etc so I don't think I borked anything while making my hardware modifications.

Drive jumpers are default (ie master/primary)

Have I forgotten something obvious here?

---------- Post updated 02-03-13 at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous update was 01-03-13 at 06:24 PM ----------

Ok, this was just a silly-me thing.
Took it all apart again, and noticed in better light that the power molex was just a little crooked, gave it a wiggle and it snapped home. Suddenly everything works :rolleyes:
:slight_smile:

For anyone else wanting to try this, it's actually as simple as you'd hope. Just plug (properly) and go.

To do my modification on the drive slide spacer (to buy a proper one costs $$$), just drill out the four rivets holding the centre bar in place, taking care not to drill the metal frame at all. You might need to lever the frame open slightly against the bar to pop off the rivet head. I had to, but I was working with a limited range of drillbits and one size up was too big.

The holes that the rivets were in happen to line up just nicely with the mounting screw holes on modern standard 3.5" IDE harddrives. One each side and everything sits pretty well.

Once done, a devfsadm got it to show up in format, assign partition table and enjoy.

1 Like