[Solved] Pdf Printing in Solaris

HI All

I need help related to Pdf printing in Solaris.as I print pdf file in solaris it print garbage.how can I print pdf correctly. need help asap.

Regards

Everyone at the UNIX and Linux Forums gives their best effort to reply to all questions in a timely manner. For this reason, posting questions with subjects like "Urgent!" or "Emergency" and demanding a fast reply are not permitted in the regular forums.

For members who want a higher visibility to their questions, we suggest you post in the Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Forum. This forum is given a higher priority than our regular forums.

Posting a new question in the Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Forum requires forum Bits. We monitor this forum to help people with emergencies, but we do not not guarantee response time or best answers. However, we will treat your post with a higher priority and give our best efforts to help you.

If you have posted a question in the regular forum with a subject "Urgent" "Emergency" or similar idea, we will, more-than-likely, close your thread and post this reply, redirecting you to the proper forum.

Of course, you can always post a descriptive subject text, remove words like "Urgent" etc. (from your subject and post) and post in the regular forums at any time.

Thank you.

The UNIX and Linux Forums

thanks for your reply. I am new to Solaris so could you please explain in detail steps, what should i do i.e in steps (means which package should i install and work accordingly)

One way to get PDF files printed is to use acrobat reader, is it installed or can you get it installed?

no its not installed. I can install but need your guidance, from where can I get the package and what configuration should I do after installing acrobat reader.

Regards

What kind of solaris is it? (architecture: Sparc or X86...) And what version?

Architecture is Sparc
and its Solaris 10

Do you have:

lo4:/export/home/vbe $ which gs
/usr/sfw/bin/gs
lo4:/export/home/vbe $ which  pdf2ps             
/usr/sfw/bin/pdf2ps

no gs in /usr/sbin /usr/bin /usr/ccs/bin /usr/openwin/bin /usr/dt/bin /usr/platform/SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise-T5120/sbin /opt/sun/bin /opt/SUNWexplo/bin

no pdf2ps in /usr/sbin /usr/bin /usr/ccs/bin /usr/openwin/bin /usr/dt/bin /usr/platform/SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise-T5120/sbin /opt/sun/bin /opt/SUNWexplo/bin /opt/SUNWsneep/bin /opt/CTEact/bin /opt/emc/SYMCLI/V6.5.2/bin

Do you have a /usr/sfw/ directory? ... It is not in your path... ( normal...)

no gs in /usr/bin /opt/EMCpower/bin /etc/emc/bin /etc
no pdf2ps in /usr/bin /opt/EMCpower/bin /etc/emc/bin /etc

I have /usr/sfw.
does it need to be in path and how can I put this in my path

Regards

go and see in /usr/sfw/bin what you have then...

in /usr/sfw/bin

there are many files and I can see pdf2ps and gs files too.

i searched gs and found it here
/usr/sfw/bin/gs
/appl/lost+found/#01322068/comn/java/classes/oracle/apps/fnd/oam/bobj/manager/gs
/appl/lost+found/#00005825/apps_st/comn/java/classes/oracle/apps/fnd/oam/bobj/manager/gs

I also found pdf2ps in same directory
/usr/sfw/bin/pdf2ps

Regards

And I am quite sure you also have acroread there also...
Since I started saying you can with acroread, try

/usr/sfw/bin/acroread -toPostScript < /<yourPDF_file>.pdf | lp -d <yourPrinter> 

I let you search how to use pdf2ps...

I did find acroread. please see below as its in same directory (/usr/sfw/bin)
acroread -> ../../lib/AdobeReader/Adobe/Reader8/bin/acroread

so tell me what command and where should I give so that I can print pdf
could you please explain above command and toPostScript is command.

Regards

Regards

I gave you the command... acroread accepts -toPostScript for argument ( you see that as working in batch mode: You are not asking acroread to open as a GUI since you only want it to convert a file...)

1 Like

Thanks for your help. Right now cannot print any pdf as there will be no one in office.Tomorrow will try to print and if required any help will bug you again:$

I have to prepare another system in which I have to do pdf printing so could you please share packages (gs, pdf2ps, acrobatereader) with steps so that I can configure the system. Once again thanks for your help

Regards

---------- Post updated 11-27-12 at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous update was 11-26-12 at 08:28 PM ----------

Hi
I send a print job with following command it only prints one page with information about my account and does not print anything else, as the command is completed it gives following error

/usr/sfw/bin/acroread -toPostScript < /<e12692.pdf>.pdf | lp -d hplasterjet5500pcl6
hplasterjet5500pcl6: temporary-error

Could you pls tell what is issue and why its not printing all pages

Regard

You should not include "<>" enclosing the filename:

/usr/sfw/bin/acroread -toPostScript < e12692.pdf | lp -d hplasterjet5500pcl6

Thanks its working fine now really appreciated your support:)
As i print it from os command but there is ERP application from where its still printing garbage, what could be the reason?

secondly I am trying to add another print but its unable to add as i m giving this command

lpadmin -p erp-cljCP2025 -s 192.168.0.5 -I any
lpadmin -d erp-cljCP2025
lpstat -d
no system default destination

i want to add this printer but unable to add it what should i do
Regards

open a new thread this time in solaris forum for your printer stuff...