[Solved] Mount HP-UX File System in Windows 7

Hello,

We just got a rx4640 that is running on:
HP-UX B.11.31 U ia64 2426088954 unlimited-user license

There is a plenty of space in it and we would like to use it for storage. I can access with ftp and place the files in there but i need to mount the file system in every PC that is running WIN 7 on the network. I know that i have to use samba or cifs but have no idea how. I also read that NFS client is needed on windows 7 so i have already activated it. Also checked with SAM and both CIFS and SAMBA are installed on HP-UX. Since i have some basic knowledge in Unix i would appreciate any help.

Thank you in advance,
gjk

The samba configuration file is called smb.conf, it is usually in /etc/samba.
There are lots of examples in the file. Edit the file, and start the service.

1 Like

Thank you for you reply. I checked /etc/samba but was nothing there. After i did:

# find / | grep smb.conf
/etc/opt/samba/smb.conf.default
/etc/opt/samba/smb.conf
/etc/opt/cifsclient/pam/smb.conf.default
/etc/opt/cifsclient/pam/smb.conf
/opt/samba/newconfig/etc/opt/samba/smb.conf
/opt/samba/swat/help/manpages/smb.conf.5.html
/opt/samba/man/man5/smb.conf.5
/opt/cifsclient/pam/newconfig/etc/opt/cifsclient/pam/smb.conf
/usr/local/samba/man/man5/smb.conf.5
/usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf.default
/usr/local/samba/swat/help/smb.conf.5.html

I see the file in 3 different locations. Which should i modify and if you don't mind showing in detail what to do as i said I have very basic knowledge on this.

Thank you
gjk

Print /etc/opt/samba/smb.conf, then decide how you need to change it. At a minimum you need to specify the machine name, the ip range allowable, the authentication, and the shares.
If you run

#find / -name smb.conf -exec ls -li {} \;

You will find out if there are links to a common smb.conf.
Beyond that, you need help from someone with acces to an HP system.
You might also consider installing Webmin for a brower based samba administration tool.

You can mount NFS directly on Windows 7 machine (if your network allows it)

Only problem i remember is that you need a registry change to map Anonymous user (currenty maped), to some HPUX user (the owner of NFS server directories for example), so you can read and write from Win7.

Regards
Peasant.

I vaguely remember using ftp access from within the windows explorer. Try like

ftp://ftpuser:passwd@ip.add.ress/directory/subdir

Maybe a registry change as cited by peasant can be done as well.

1 Like

Well the difficulty you will have is if you belong to a Windows domain ...using active directory as LDAP... be prepared to suffer... its not all that obvious unless you belong also to the Windows team ( ...)

Thank you all for your replays. The solution provided by RudiC solved my problem. I just added a network location using ftp and created a desktop shortcut for each user. Works great.