[SOLVED] ifconfig mishap

Hi all,

I have accidentally run wrong ifconfig command in the Solaris 10 server. Now the connectivity is lost. Please help ...
I am sharing the commands

Before it was

ifconfig -a
lo0: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> mtu 8232 index 1
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
e1000g0: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 2
        inet 10.10.10.20 netmask ffffffc0 broadcast 10.133.9.191
        ether 0:21:28:b1:30:44

The command which run accidentally

ifconfig -a 10.10.10.10

Please give me a solution ASAP.

Have a look at some central services for the IP-address of the card you misconfigured: try "nslookup" from another system to query the DNS server (or analogous if you have NIS/NISplus) and have a look in "/etc/hosts" if you can retrieve the IP-address.

Then use "ifconfig" again to restore the correct IP-address.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

/edit: hold on - the IP address isn't misconfigured. I first read "10.10.10.10", but the IP is "10.10.10.20". confirm that it is the correct address, otherwise: see above.

What looks wrong is the broadcast-address and the subnetmask. According to the SNM the broadcast address belongs to a different subnet. Could you clarify which address/SNM/broadcast address there should be?

1 Like

I would reboot the server.

According to ifconfig manual page, you have assigned a wrong IP address to both the loopback and the ethernet interfaces making it unreachable from the network.

1 Like

A reboot is not required, just restarting the network service would do just fine, provided, the correct IP, Sub-mask, etc. were made persistent.

svcadm restart network/physical
1 Like

Thanks to all for your kind response and extreme sorry for delay in reply from my side.

Rebooting the server solved the problem. It reverted all the old configuration. :b::slight_smile: