[Solved] Cannot Connect to Shared Drives

Hello,

I just updated my Solaris 10 SPARC server w/ the 1/31 10_Recommended patch cluster and have now lost all access to the RAIDs. Nobody can access any shared drives, which is where we keep 100% of our data and daily working files.

What I have:

• Solaris 10 SPARC
  • Running Samba
  • Connected to Windows clients

What I can do:

• Ping from my workstation
  • Open Puddy and logon via secure telnet. I can then access the server and RAID
  • Access the NAS

When I logon to my workstation, there is NO message stating that my roaming profile could not be found or any indication that a connectivity problem exists, so I think Samba is OK. I cannot map the RAIDs via Windows Explorer.

Maybe there was some network service that is not starting up? There are 2 seperate RAIDs and all cables appear connected. Everything was working before the 10_recommended cluster update, so it should not be a hardware or physical connection problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have 7 people waiting to do work but cannot access their data. Thanks in advance.

Ken

---------- Post updated at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:20 AM ----------

Ok, I think I have narrowed this down to a Samba issue. It is network-related and only affects the windows Machines. I notices there are several files in /usr/sfw/bin and lib that were changed during the patch cluster update. Part of Samba works, because we can logon w/out issue. We just can't access any network shares. Any thoughts?

Ken

---------- Post updated at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:47 AM ----------

This issue is resolved. Thought I would post the solution just in case someone else has the same problem.

Basically, the 1/31 10_Recommened Patch Cluster contained a patch (146363-01) that updated a vulnerability in Samba. However, it also changed where Samba looked for critical files such as smb.conf. Several dynamic links were inserted telling the binaries to look in /etc/samba, when it has always been located in /etc/sfw. Just copying the smb.conf to /etc/samba did not work, so there were probably other configuration changes made that I did not find. I ended up backing out 146363-01 and now everything works as it should.

Ken

1 Like

I personally would build my own version of samba and not rely the vendor packaged ones. glad you figured it out though.