solaris volume manager- stripe?

Hello Admins..

I am going through solaris volume manager guide for RAID-0 concatenation and stripes, I do not understand the concept of stripe from following example of concatenation.

There is an eample for concatenation:

# metainit d25 1 1 c0t1d0s2
d25: Concat/Stripe is setup

the explanation given is:
"This example shows the creation of a concatenation, d25, that consists of one stripe (the first number 1) made of a single slice (the second number 1 in front of the slice). The system verifies that the volume has been set up."

As far as I understand, stripe volume is access of data parallely across slices.
but from above example of concatenation, how does that number 1 comes in as stripe?

Please clear my confusion.

Thanks

Well, it can't be a mirror as at least two devices are required to create one and it can't be a raid5 as then at least three devices are required so it must be a stripe, although very minimal indeed.

1 Like

Hii snchaudhari2,

I can clear your doubt:

1.)The volume which u have created is a concat/stripe volume bcoz ur using one disk only,
so der is no diff of concat or stripe.

2.)Difference comes when u will have two disks like:

Let me clear it with example,

U have two disks
c0t1d0s2
c0t1d0s4

Concatenation:
#metainit -f d1 2 1 c0t1d0s2 1 c0t1d0s4
It will create a concatenated volume d1,in which first c0t1d0s2 disk will full
and then c0t1d0s4 will full.

Striping:
#metainit -f d1 1 2 c0t1d0s2 c0t1d0s4

It will create a striped volume d1,in which data will transfer parallel to both disks.

I think this clears urs doubts ........:b:

1 Like

hi CJ007,

yeah it did cleared most of the doubt, but can you just tell me the meaning of the numbers used in the syntax i.e. 2, 1 ,1 ?

Sometimes the number 2 will be referred as concatenation of 2 stripes (as per your example), thats makes me confuse.

Please suggest

Check "Examples" section in the metainit man page: metainit(1M) (man pages section 1M: System Administration Commands)

1 Like

Hi snchaudhari2,

2 1 1 means concatenation of 2 disk in which 1 is c0t1d0s2 and 1 is c0t1d0s4.

For striping ,
You always have to specify 1 after the volume name and then no of stripes you want to give.In my example i have given 2 stripes.

#metainit -f d1 1 2 c0t1d0s2 c0t1d0s4

1 Like