Solaris root password

Bit of a strange problem I have never come across before..

I can log into the workstation going through the server as it is a trusted host but when I try and connect to the workstation through SSH or RSH directly it will not take the password, I changed the password when I logged in the machine through the server but it will still not take the password I set it to when I try remotely :confused:

Any help appreciated

Are you trying to ssh into a system as root? By default, ssh will disallow this. You need to edit the sshd_config file if you want to login as root.

In the sshd_config file, look for the line containing 'PermitRootLogin'. Replace whatever is present ahead of that with 'yes'. (No quotes).

I have just edited that and I still cannot login comes up with permission denied but I can log in as myself, I also cannot Rlogin or RSH into it as it also returns "Permission Denied" This machine has been working fine for some while

thanks,
will

If sshd is running as a daemon you would need to restart it after editing the config file.

You didn't answer the question though - are you login as root or a normal user ?
Restarting the sshd should finalize the changes you've made, if you're still running into troubles, invoke "ssh user@host -vvv" and see what the debug output says.

Thank you all I edited the sshd config file and restarted the ssh daemon and voila it works!