Solaris Restore Point

Hi,
Is there a Restore Point on Solaris 8 like windows ? Today I restarted my machine and saw that one entire Directory is missing. Need to restore the lost data :(:frowning:

You need to make daily backups , for example I am using openBacula with cron and everything is automated (I love UNIX) .

For restoring deleted data

try old school with grep command

Linux or UNIX Recover deleted files � undelete files

or try with testdisk(not sure if has support for ZFS) it has support for Solaris i386 disklabel

TestDisk - CGSecurity

In bothcases , server must go to init state 1

But if I were you
Bacula, the Open Source, Enterprise ready, Network Backup Tool for Linux, Unix, and Windows

No such thing.. But in Solaris, there is something called flash archives or snapshots.

Windows restore points do not help in recovering a lost directory. Only the registry and some critical files (drivers and the like) are saved.

You can use Live Upgrade with Solaris 8 and newer for a similar to windows restore points yet more powerful feature.
With OpenSolaris, there is the automatic ZFS snapshot service that would help in recovering any directory or file on the filesystems where it is enabled: How to Manage the Automatic ZFS Snapshot Service - OpenSolaris Information Resources - wikis.sun.com

Hi,
Currently this utility is not installed. So, what is the use ? If I had installed and taken snapshots, then might be this was helpful. But, how will it help in my current scenario ?

---------- Post updated at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:15 PM ----------

Does Solaris, automatically takes snapshots of the Files/Directories ? If Yes, how do I access them ?

---------- Post updated at 06:25 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:15 PM ----------

During re-boot I get the following message -

/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s4 - cannot read : BLK 3003616
unexpected inconsistency; RUN fsck manually

What do I do here to recover or repair this block ?

---------- Post updated at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:25 PM ----------

I tried

fsck -y /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s4

also. and rebooted, but still it says the same problem

It won't help.

It doesn't take snapshots unless being told so.

You might have a faulty disk in which case you should replace it and restore the filesystem from your most recent backup.

During re-boot I get the following message -

/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s4 - cannot read : BLK 3003616
unexpected inconsistency; RUN fsck manually

What do I do here to recover or repair this block ?

---------- Post updated at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:25 PM ----------

I tried

fsck -y /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s4

also. and rebooted, but still it says the same problem
[/quote]

Also back-doors solution can be to attache next submiror and let system synchronize content of whole disk to the second one and de-attach it when done.
Add to inconsistency.... your disk is saying good bye, you should replace it....