Solaris Port Monitoring

I would like to know if it is possible to read from an I/O Port in solaris. I need to monitor the parallel port of 1 PC and save all the incoming and outgoing messages. I use a SPARC Solaris running Solaris 2.5.1. I have seen a driver for x86 based systems but none for SPARC.
Any help on how to monitor the I/O addresses would be great.

Thanks

snoop on parallel device

If you need to monitor packets, you can use snoop interface ports. For serial, you will need to connect to to it and record the console messages.
Your parrallel port is connecting to?

Hi,
Thanks for the Reply.
My parallel Port cable (25 Pin) is connected between my PC and a Tester Instrument, which sends the Test results to my PC through the Parallel Port Interface. I needed to log this Test Data data to a file.
I dont think, I can make use of snoop, since I believe Snoop can only record Packet Data from the Ethernet Cable Interface.

Any ways from the Tester Instrument??? :eek:

Solaris 2.5.1 is quote outdated. With current Solaris releases, you could use dtrace to monitor this kind of traffic.
With 2.5.1, if you know what process is handling the parallel port, you might use truss with the -rall and -wall flags (if they are supported) to see incoming and outgoing data.

The Instrument is an old stuff havin jus the GPIB and Parallel Port Interfaces. I could connect it to some Analyser Equipment and it would show the Test Results. But unfortunately those Analyzers are very expensive to be used for my Uni Project. (NI Analyzers cost around 1500USD). That is why I thought of the Possibility of logging the data from the Parallel Port of the Connected PC.
I have a source code for the driver for x86 based Solaris machines. Is it possible that with some slight modifications, this driver could be made to work on the Sparc based System :confused: or is that a difficult task considering that I am not very familiar with device drivers :frowning: ...
Anyways thanks for the reply !!

---------- Post updated at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:58 PM ----------

@jlliagre
Thanks for the suggestion ...
I would try checkin that !!

Thanks for all your suggestions. I am able to use the truss for simple analysis :b:.
I would also like to know if there is a command similar to ioperm (of linux) so that Ports could be directly accessed as a root user.
Thanks

There is no equivalent (and probably never will):
Re: [osol-code] Porting linux syscalls iopl, ioperm, clone and setup to