Solaris on AMD 770 chipset

hi

is there anyone out there who has experience with installing Solaris on this chipset?
there is one entry in the HCL doc about it (BigAdmin - HCL: Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 rev1.0 ) but that person apparently doesnt reply when another asks him some questions.

im looking to install on following hardware:
AMD Processors for Desktops: AMD Phenom?, AMD Athlon? FX, AMD Athlon? X2 Dual-Core, AMD Athlon?, and AMD Sempron? Processor on
Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H Motherboard Review :: Introduction :: Motherboards.org with four of these: WD Caviar Blue 320 GB SATA Hard Drives ( WD3200AAKS )

is there anyone that can say something sensible about these hardwares?

the processor should be feasible, according to what iv read. my main doubt is the motherboard.

all reactions & suggestions welcome

PS ; im building this system so i can get to know solaris better at home; im a total ignorant noob still (in relation to Solaris :smiley: )

Solaris X86 should work fine on that. Heck I've even installed it on an AMD board with an Intel 4 processor.

how did you do that then? i thought the sockets didnt match (i must admit iv never tried either)
anyway, thanks for your reaction Seg.
are there any specific things that i should be aware of?
i wanna install from a CD or DVD (iv read there could be issues with making the system recognizing devices connected through Sata) so would it be better to get one that connects through PATA (= IDE) or the newer SATA conncetd CD/DVD burners?

cheers

L

SATA is not that big of a deal, most (if not all) of the AMD based servers Sun sells use SATA drives.

I did run into one issue that I never researched or solved. One of the patch clusters from Sun killed the SVM RAID I had set up. Because of the situation I was in at the time I just reinstalled and didn't apply that cluster. The moral of that is the same as most, test patches before pushing them out to production systems.

Pardon my previous error, I meant an ASUS board with Intel chip :slight_smile: