Solaris Network doesn't work properly

Hi to all!

I want to learn step by step easily how to configure my Solaris for network. I know alot about Solaris Network configuration. But I have some problems.

When I install Solaris, and I plug-in my network cable to Solaris. Then I run:
ifconfig -a plumb
then I do
ifconfig bge0 dhcp

It don't get IP from dhcp.

I edited my /etc/default/defaultrouter file and I removed comment of SIG TERM (something like this) comment and I restarted. But again it don't get IP from my dhcp server. BUt all other Linux and Windows OS runnig computers in my network does.

And when I give my IP address manually with ifconfig, I cannot ping from my windows OS to hostname of Solaris.

my solaris OS's hostname is Solaris.
When I ping in windows to ping Solaris... It cannot find my pc
but when I try to ping to SOlaris OS's IP I can...

Please advice about networking basics in SOlaris.

Thanks alot

When you are pinging the hostname you need to have DNS on your network. If you dont have a server running DNS you could always work around that by adding the name and IP in the windows host file (not always recommended) .

Thanks for response...

But that is not my first and last problem.

First: If I should have DNS server, so why all my Linux and windows computers can ping each other in my network?

Second: Why my solaris box cannot get IP from my DHCP server?
I did sys-unconfig and I set my network settings to get IP from DHCP server, but after 10 min it said failed to get IP. why?

How can I configure my solaris workstation to get IP from DHCP server?

I have Solaris 10 with kernel 5.10

Thanks

It not worked...

In my dhcp server, I cannot see Solaris hostname listed. Therefore I cannot ping to my solaris workstation. But all other computers in my network, I have their name in my network and I can see them.

In my DHCP server I see all hostnames, but I cannot see my Solaris OS's hostname...Why?

I went to sys-unconfig page and I set my network settings to get IP from DHCP server... But after a lot of time it failed... I don't know why?

I cannot see SOlaris Hostname in my dhcp server. It seems Solaris don't connect to dhcp sever and don't sends it's own hostname and don't gets IP address from DHCP server...

How I can solve this?

Try this.

ifconfig "interface name" dhcp release
ifconfig "interface name" dhcp start or auto dhcp:b:

if you got resolved , post the steps .. will be usefull for forum members.

ifconfig -a plumb is wrong syntax
you should use ifconfig bge0 plumb instead

what are your contents within /etc/hosts, /etc/inet/ipnodes? And the OS release you're running?

"ifconfig -a plumb" is a correct syntax and an arguably better one that "ifconfig someinterface plumb".