Solaris Login Screen Not Loading

I (think I) successfully installed Solaris 10 5/09 on the IDE hard drive of my computer using the 5 installation CDs I downloaded from the Sun website. But now when I boot from the IDE hard drive I think it boots successfully but It asks me for the root password or Ctrl+D to abort. When I give it the root password it loads a command line. When I use Ctrl+D it just gives me the prompt for the root password again. Whenever I booted up my SPARC if I let it sit for a minute it would time out and load the login screen. So I left my computer idle for two hours and when I came back the prompt asking for the root password was still there.

I don't know if this next part is part of the problem but I might as well mention it. I boot from my SATA hard drive running Ubuntu and look at this guide: Solaris Operating System - How to Quickly Install the Solaris 10 OS on x86 Systems. At step 31 it shows a screen that I never got when installing. (offtopic: I want my file system to be ZFS.) I did, however, get the screen shown at step 32 and 33. Didn't get 34. I got 35, 36, and 37. Then in step 38 it shows the login screen that I can't get to. Any help?

you've a problem... the message "press control+d to continue" indicates that you boot to single user mode.
for your zfs problem: did you see screen 31? and on the second "black" screen (after the grub menu) did you choose option "4"?

I didn't choose option 4, I chose option 1. I'll reinstall using that option and post back here.

this should solve the ZFS problem. After that, we can watch your login problem ;).

The file system type is now ZFS and reinstalling solved the login screen problem, but now I need to figure out how to get the proper ethernet driver installed. The manual for my motherboard says it's PCIe Gigabit LAN. Is there a driver for this type of ethernet for Solaris? To install drivers I'm guessing I'd choose option 5 on the black screen after the GRUB menu. I'll start searching for the driver now, I just need to know how to install it.

---------- Post updated at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:39 PM ----------

I just found a floppy with 'gani driver' written on it and I googled 'gani' and it turns out it's an ethernet driver. Now how do I install it?

Free NIC drivers for Solaris