Solaris Installation

I have a desktop running on Windows 7. I have added new secondary hard disk. I wanted to install Solaris 10 on the secondary hard drive. Is it possible? So my desktop will be dual bootable? Can it be done?

Thanks for your help.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

You are welcome.
Just run the Solaris 10 installer and make sure you don't confuse disks ...

Thank you.

---------- Post updated at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:05 PM ----------

One more quick question.

======================================
Just run the Solaris 10 installer and make sure you don't confuse disks ...

At what point solaris installation will ask for the disk info? Could you also please tell me how do I make sure that I select the right secondary hard disk?

Thank you.

It will ask at step 33 in the following how-to: Solaris Operating System - How to Quickly Install the Solaris 10 OS on x86 Systems

Disk size or existing disk partitions would be good clues.

Thank you so much. Could you please tell me what type of file system I should choose for the secondary hard drive. Is it NTFS/Fat32/Fat16.

I am running disk wizard to add the secondary hard drive. it is asking for the file system type.

None of the above. Let the Solaris installer create its partition and filesystems. You'll be giving the choice between UFS and ZFS and I recommend the latter.

While installing if I select

1. SOlaris interactive text (Desktop session)

System configuration screen came blank. So I select the

1. Solaris interactive text (Console session) and I completed the installation successfully. But after reboot it asked me the console login and password. As soon as I login the screen is going blank.

Could you please tell me how to fix this?

Thank you.

Did you cheked compatbility with your machine with Oracle detection tool ?

Solaris first prompt for CLI login and if there is no input X session is starrted automatically so you can login in GUI mode.

But if you want master Solaris you must at CLI because there is no GUI in LOM.

Did you check your hardware is supported ?
BigAdmin HCL: Oracle Device Detection Tool
To stop before the blank screen issue happen, you can boot in single user mode. x86: How to Boot a System to Run Level S (Single-User Level) (System Administration Guide: Basic Administration) - Sun Microsystems
From there you can disable the graphic environment by running that command:

/usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -d

Have a look at the X11 log file for clues:

grep EE /var/logs/Xorg.0.log

Yes , your system can become dual bootable , and another option to install solaris on windows 7 , is install vmware and the install solaris in vmware

Oracle device detection tool finds no dedicated xorg driver that supports the following.

Oracle Oracle Device Vendor Device Name
Solaris Solaris Type Name
Driv Driv
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
audiohd audiohd multimedia Intel Corp 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset
High Definition Audio

vgatext vgatext Video Intel Corp Core Processor Integrated
Graphics Controller

Could you please tell me is there any fix or driver for this?

Thanks,