Hi friends,
I am trying to install Solaris 10 x86 on a compaq computer, which has
Intel Pentium 4, 2.4Ghz
512MB RAM
40GB Hardisk
When I boot from the Solaris 10 x86 DVD ROM, it gives me three options

Solaris
Solaris Serial Console ttya
Solaris Serial Console ttyb (for lx50, v60x and v65x)

I select the first option. solaris, as I have done it many times before for installing Solaris on my other computers.
Then it goes to the next step, and gives an error, and then installation apparently freezes. I have waited for a long time, but didn't go further and was hung there. The error message says,

SunOS Release 5.10 Version Generic_142910-17 32-bit
Copyright (c) 1983, 2010, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.

panic[cpu0]/thread=fec20720: page_unlock: page fe09efd0 is not locked

Please help me, I am waiting desperately for your wonderfur and helpful replies.
Thanks in advance!

hi,
512mb is a little bit on the small side but it should work... have you checked the HCL against your hardware? also you can try to strip down your hardware to a minimum configuration (take out all PCI cards and so on...) and try again.

Thanks for your reply, my friend! The problem is still not solved. There was a PCI extension card, and I removed it. There are no other hardware devices in my computer, except the hard drive, dvd rom, and a floppy drive. I think the problem is with the amount of memory. When I install solaris virtually under Virtualbox, I face the same error when RAM is less than 768MB. But when the installation is complete, i decrease the amount of ram, and the system works quite well.

if i remember right, the minimum is 384mb ram to install solaris... maybe someone can confirm this.

1 Like

Right now, I am trying to install Solaris 10 on an x86 system with 2GB ram, with pci modem, graphics cards etc. I will tell you the results. Thanks a ton for injecting this idea into my mind that pci cards could also lead to such installation errors.
Thank alot!

---------- Post updated at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:32 AM ----------

Yeah, low memory was the problem. Installation worked on my 2GB system. Although, Solaris graphical installation didn't work, nvidia card could be the problem. And also one of the network cards was not working during the DHCp, so I had to use the second PCI network card. It detected all the three SATA harddisks.
Now before proceeding with the installation, I need your guidance. Here is all the setup on my 2GB system.
SATA HD 0:- Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit.
SATA HD 1: Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 64-bit.
SATA HD 2: Empty.
Now if I want to install Solaris on my third harddisk, and select only that disk during solaris partitioning, is there any risks of solaris altering the other bootloader on the first two disks, I don't want to create any problem for myself. Or should I unplug the first two disks, and then install solaris on the third disk, and plug them back after the installation has been complete. Your guidance please!!!!!

you need grub on the disk to boot solaris... if you unplug disk 0 and 1 the bootloader will be on disk 2. so you can only boot solaris if you unplug the first to disks. it's a safe solution.

Ok bro, thanks. I just upgraded my system's memory from 512MB to 1024MB, and that problem was solved. With all the pci cards attached to the system, the solaris installation went smoothly. Looks like 512MB is not enough to install solaris 10 x86. I don't have to install Solaris on my 2GB system now. Have a nice day!