Solaris flicker on lenovo laptop x230

hi

I installled Solaris 11.3 on my Lenovo X230 with Intel HD Graphics 4000, trouble is the graphic driver doesn't play well with 11.3, on the right of the screen, it blinking/flashing/shifting and no colour (grey; see pic below).

I try to reduce resolution to 1024*768, I can't reduce the refresh rate (60HZ is the default, quite high I believe)

[LEFT]I tried "-B livemode=vesa" in grub during the reboot but it didn't help.

[/LEFT]

[LEFT]is there a trick or a another graphic driver which is compatible with "Intel HD Graphics 4000" ?

[/LEFT]

[LEFT]BR van12

[/LEFT]

Hi,

On the Oracle HCL, there are only two certified Lenovo Laptops. One is the X240 and the other is the T440p, that being said the X230 shouldn't be a million miles away.

I'm not familiar with the specs of the Lenovo Laptops, but would suggest that this may well simply be down to the graphics chip set. Have you upgraded the Bios to the latest level etc., before the update?

An other place to check could be the Oracle support forums, or here.

Regards

Gull04

1 Like

Was the laptop display alright when running another O/S? eg, Windows?

If you connect an external monitor and enter the required keystroke to send the output there does that display okay?

If you boot any popular 'live' media from a Linux distro does that work?

You need to establish whether it's just the laptop display or an external display doesn't work either. Whether it is definitely just the Solaris driver that can't handle the laptop display.

1 Like

Hi Gull04 hicksd8

Thanks, Oracle forum doesn't much help (did look at HCL too), unfortunately X240 is not close to X230. I think this forum is better (more activity) than oracle forum :slight_smile:

sorry forgot to mention, my lenovo has multiboot (windows7, Centos, solaris). No screen issue with linux/windows7. Just tried to connect to a VGA, it works (full of colours and no blinking), max screen solution (1024x768; there are no higher avlue). Refresh rate is "60" (no other choices). When using Mini-DisplayPort (I had a Dp -> hdmi cable) OK as well. Highest resolution is 1024x768, refresh rate can be 60,70,72

nb: when not connect to an external display the max resolution is 1366x768

In windows: max resolution is 1366x768 , 60HZ (only one value)

Can I tune something in graphics driver/settings on solaris as the old day I did it on linux X (not Xorg).

br van12

Hi,

Have you tried with the Solaris Live CD, you can down load it here.

Just to see if the screen issue is still there, when you use what are probably a set of "generic" drivers.

Regards

Gull04

1 Like

hi
oh yes, I tried at least 20 times with USB and DVD "text installer" (770MB) without success. USB can't start, DVD stop at 90% :frowning:
So I used Live DVD and then I install 11.3 from there. Yes there is flicking issue with Live DVD as well

So the Solaris display driver is capable of driving an external VGA display but not the laptop's own display. Have you checked whether there are any display settings in the BIOS that can be tweaked?

Can you wind the resolution down to the minimum just to see if that works?

Does this problem occur irrespective of which GUI you select; X-Windows, Gnome, or whatever?

---------- Post updated at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:21 AM ----------

The Intel HD 4000 is a graphics card that the OpenSXCE project (derived from Open source Solaris) has had to write a new/modified driver for so that's interesting:

View Source

Whether this driver will work on your laptop I don't know but may be worth a try since you have nothing to lose.

The authors (shown in the right column of the web page) are usually easy to contact if you search for them. I've done it before quite easily.

1 Like

Altho i do condone exploring hardware travesty....
In my humble opinion, all you need is one operating system with virtualization solutions (vbox, vmware,kvm) for other operating systems.

Only exception should be exotic hardware such as sparc or itanic, which you cannot install on desktop linux or windows as a virtual machine.
I see no special knowledge gained by installing solaris 11.3 on a separate partition on laptop to boot from, opposing as a virtual box machine for instance.

Triple or whatever boots can also involve risk of overwriting disks / partitions and/or data loss simply by issuing the wrong command on, for instance windows disk, from solaris OS booted.

Virtualization can even simulate 'real life' even better with internal networking, one machine as dhcp/dns/kerberos server, clients as solaris,linux, clusters..
Great way to learn interaction, test security of various services (in a isolated environment.) etc.

Hope that helps
Regards
Peasant.

1 Like

Hi

Thanks to all, sorry for late reply due to my many test and the European Cup :slight_smile:

the screen is stopped to Flick/blink if I choose "vesa mode" (from the live DVD) in the boot menu, it will "remember" this mode when I install solaris local. The mission is completed and you can read all details here:

http://www.unix.com/solaris/267001-multiboot-laptop-windows-solaris-linux.html\#post302976759

Thanks
Br van12

ps: i did have vmware on my stationary PC, don't want vmware on this Little 4GB x230 laptop, pPrefer "standalone"