Solaris DiskSuite, boot from detached disk

Hi,

I am running Solaris 8 on Sun server with 2 hard drives. I have configured mirroring on the system using DiskSuite tool in order to have the same data on both disks. Now I want to perform some software upgrade and I would like to use the second disk as a backup disk. This means taking this disk out of the system, performing the upgrade on disk one and after that trying to boot from disk 2 in case that something with the upgrade fails.

I don�t know which is exactly the procedure to do this. I have tried removing submirrors (metadetach and metaclear) and state databases from disk 2 and editing vfstab file, but when trying to boot from disk 2 it doesn�t work. Is this the right procedure? Has anyone faced such a problem before?

BR
Carlos

Please provide us more information about the failure that happen if you boot from the second disk!

One common mistake is to forget that the second disk must have a boot sector.
man installboot
Example:
installboot /usr/platform/sun4u/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0

Searching the forum I can find:

Best regards
joerg

I finally could solve the problem. The boot sector was already installed, I forgot to mention it on the explanation. The problem was with the /etc/system file of the second disk. There were still some references to metadatabases, so I had to comment them out and after that the disk booted fine. :slight_smile:

BR
Carlos

I have same issue ,can show your steps?