Solaris CDE lock screen

Hi, I can't seem to get out of the CDE Lock Screen. I type my password and get a beep, The mouse isn't seen over the input. and I don't see any progress when I type. Anyone have a clue how to get back in to the system?

Ensure you have no active Caps Lock or Shift Lock. (The respective LEDs on the keyboard might not work.)

Perhaps you can do a second logon, via ssh or via remote desktop login (which is XDMCP).
Then you can see the PAM log in the configured syslog file.

Unfortunately Solaris does not log PAM by default.

Or you can kill the CDE session manager, will kill your problematic session.

1 Like

@MadeInGermany is the /etc/syslog.conf file pre-processed with m4 before syslog reads it? Both the ifdef(...) and the back tick & single quote look suspiciously like m4.

Aside: How do I get a single back tick in a code block which seems to be defined using a back tick?

Maybe m4 is built into the syslog. There are several ifdef in the stock syslog.conf already.

Wrap the code block in triple backticks, and single (and even double) backticks may exist in it.

1 Like

Maybe m4 is built into the syslog. There are several ifdef in the stock syslog.conf already.

Interesting.

Time to do some spelunking in man pages.

Wrap the code block in triple backticks, and single (and even double) backticks may exist in it.

Thank you @MadeInGermany, #TIL

`works for me'