Solaris - Assign Static IP

Hi,
I have cloned a SOLARIS 8 (BLADE 150) Hard Disk and have put into other system. So, now how do I configure the NIC and assign static IP for this new machine ?

This would be the minimal to do, assuming the NIC is eri0:

ifconfig eri0 ip-address up
echo ip-address > /etc/hostname.eri0

You then probably want to set a default route, name service configuration, netmasks if required, ...

Hi,
For just assigning a static ip, is the above two lines enuf ?

basically yes.

however, you may have communication issues if you do not configure other network specific files such as what jlliagre said.

1. Can you please provide me a detail on that too ?
  2. Also, I would like to change my hostname too ?

And, all settings should be preserved once I reboot the system.

You need to provide details first. We can't guess what your network requirements are.

hostname new-hostname
hostname > /etc/nodename

Note that this might be quite disruptive if you have applications that rely on the previous hostname.

Hopefully.

My Network requirement is like Salaris A will be MASTER and other Solaris B will networked as a client to this master. Now, this MASTER containns an entry for the Client. So, I want to change this client to that particular IP and Hostname

If you are logged in as root, you can run

/usr/sbin/sys-unconfig

This will reboot the machine and ask all the system identity related questions.

Indeed, I'm usually reluctant to suggest sys-unconfig as it resets so many things but in that specific case, that might help.

---------- Post updated at 22:56 ---------- Previous update was at 22:52 ----------

Sorry but I have no idea about what you are trying to explain here.
Usual requirements are talking about routers, network masks, DNS servers, DNS tables, NIS, virtual interfaces and the likes.
What kind of master and clients are you talking about ?