Solaris and Cluster Patches

Simple question:

After applying a cluster patch to a sun solaris box I am left with a root volume 81% full. I could run through the hassle of resizing the slices which is way too much work for a Ultra 5 running DNS only.
Is there a way to clean up the /var/sadm/pkg area, aka dump the save info.

Not sure if this is the answer you're looking for, but maybe it can be of some help...

Solaris 2 FAQ

yecks! that helps and hurts, didnt realize it would be that ugly. Been flipping thru the mass of directories...looks like I am going to have to write some dirty script to help with this...

Puuting /var in the root filesystem is a terrible idea. It should be a separate filesystem. Are you sure that /var is actually in root?

quite positive. Small HD, I was a bit more ignorant then (tho the more I learn the more I realize how ignorant I am, so maybe more naive would be better said) and the Senior Admin isnt the best help at times...lessons sometimes are hard learned...
anyway I am figuring just deleting the /var/sadm/pkg/<package>/save/* . Unless you have a better idea.

I'm not sure what resources you have available, so it's hard to know what to suggest. The best solution would be to reinstall the OS. Since you now have a better understanding of things, you can make better choices. And while you're reinstalling, upgrading the HD would be a good idea.

Sometimes we can't go with the best solution. Can you move the save directories into another filesystem and symlink them back? Can you hold off for a while? If you can't afford the reinstall, be aware that deleting the save directories will force you in that direction if anything goes wrong. While they exist, you have a shot at a patchrm. Without them, patchrm will fail. At the very least, I would test as much as possible before removing them. And can you save a copy on tape or something? That would leave you some options.