Solaris 9 security

Hi all,

I have some questions for you about Solaris 9 security (if you also know the answers for Red Hat enterprise linux 3 et HP UX 11i, this would help too). I have already found many documents about general UNIX security, but some points are still obscure.

Please take time to try to help me, I would be very grateful. Don't hesitate to explain things even if they seem obvious to you, my knowledge in UNIX's world being very limited...

1) My first question is about the single user mode. I would like to disallow anybody to boot as single user without prompting a password. Do you know how to do that ?

2) How can we close any connection after a certain period of inactivity ?

3) How can I limit the amount of information given to the user when he is establishing a connection to a server ? (typically not giving the version of OS, etc.)

4) How to make a password respect a predefined policy ? (complexity, aging). I have seen the PAM cracklib module, but is it possible to do the same things without PAM

5) General question : if you had to make a solaris system very secure, which services would you allow and which one would you make unavailable ?

Thank you for your help. Please answer even if you only know the answer to one question. It will help. And forgive me for my english (I am french).

Bye,

Aaclof

Aaclof,

If you plan hardening your solaris platform, I recommend that you consider using Solaris Security Toolkit (JASS) utility from Sun. Please, read docummentation and FAQs (perhaps explore some scripts in this toolkit) before trying it on your system, as it may dissable some services that could be necessary on your system.
Even if you don't use this tool as is, you can learn a great deal of how to harden your system by just looking at scripts.

The tool can be obtained from Hardware | Oracle

After downloading the security tool package

how do I intstall the toolkit ?

If you don't want to use Jass from sun you can check it by your self with this guideline file

http://www.nsa.gov/snac/os/sunsol_9/I331-007R-2004.pdf

:slight_smile: