Solaris 9 Password

Hello,

I'm new to solaris but am a certified systems administrator. I was recently brought the task of repairing a sunblade150 and was completely willing to take on this task without knowing the history behind this system. Apparently some slick S.O.B. from ebay bought this system, took the Solaris 9 installation disk and password protected root then sent it back saying he doesnt want it because its password protected. Ive been reading around and understand how to get to the OK prompt and use "boot -s cdrom" but everytime i try this i get nowhere but a password prompt. Ive seen that i can reset the root password with the install disk using the passwd command but this guy stole our disk (because about a year ago this OS was worth a lot of money) So i went to sun and downloaded the free solaris 10 and was planning on just reinstalling 10 because i need nothing off this hard disk, but im still confronted with a password prompt before i can continue to even try to install this OS. My only thought right now would be to install the HD as slave on a different computer and delete all partitions. (because i cant delete the partitions as is) But I'm not sure if this is the right answer. Does anyone have any other solutions out there?

This actually sounds like the password for the open boot prom, not any disk.

I suggest you download 816-4379-10.pdf which is the service manual for the machine.

Index of /docs/sunblade150

Reset the programmable read only memory with no results. I then installed a new cdrom to see if maybe it wasnt reading correctly and continuing to boot from the hard disk, no luck. So i removed the hard disk and wiped it completely. Now i get an error message after using command "boot cdrom" of:

Boot device: /pci@1f,0/ide@d/cdrom@1,0:f  File and args:  grub
Bad magic number in disk label
Can't open disk label package

Cant open boot device

ok

I then checked the solaris 10 installation disk i downloaded for the proper files on another machine and everything seems to be there and burned properly.

using command probe-ide it says the cd-rom is recognized as Device 1 (hard disk is Device 0)

do i need to format prior to inserting any of the installation disks?
What am i doing wrong here?
I now have the proper service manual and went through every diagnostics i could and everything has passed. Thanks for that link!

i think i may have found a problem,
using command
devalias
i found cdrom and cdrom1 both use the same location of

/pci@1f,0/ide@d/cdrom@1,0:f

but i cant seem to find the command to change it any help would be greatly appreciated

show-disks from the OK prompt is pretty useful for this, it'll list most of the bootable disks on your system and the paths to them.

Alternatively, do a reset (or reset-all depending on the PROM version, whatever works) then probe-scsi-all. Do NOT run the probe without doing the reset, sun boxen are not all that good at handling a probe when there's junk in memory.

ok show-disks
a) /pci@1f,0/pci@5/scsi@2/disk
b) /pci@1f,0/ide@d/cdrom
c) /pci@1f,0/ide@d/disk
q) NO SELECTION
Enter Selection, q to quit:

What happens from here?

I have tried the reset-all but used probe-ide after should i be using the probe-scsi-all instead?

There is a scsi controller card installed but there is no scsi disks installed, the HD and CD-ROM are both currently on IDE

Can you now

boot /pci@1f,0/ide@d/cdrom

?

You are right, the probe-scsi wouldn't help you much (I'm not really used to ide systems :wink: )

The probe was only an alternative to the show-disks - you've got all you need already now, just issue a "boot /pci@1f,0/ide@d/cdrom -s" to come up off the cd.

You might also want to have a play with devalias, nvalias and nvunalias to set up a few useful device aliases (so you can go "boot cdrom" and such).

I have seen that bad magic number before. If i remember correctly you need to name the hard disk using the format command in another machine. once it is labeled it will accept the installation.

With a Solaris manual install, if it detects the harddrive is unformatted it will knock you down into a shell. From the shell you can use the format command to select the disk, low-level format and partition, then return back to the installation.

Why do you get grub as a parameter for boot? Sounds more like you are trying to install a X86 Solaris on a Sparc box?

"Boot device: /pci@1f,0/ide@d/cdrom@1,0:f File and args: grub
Bad magic number in disk label
Can't open disk label package

Cant open boot device

ok"

Sorry i just got back to work and am ready to finish this thing today, hopefully. Anyways I feel stupid now because i have been trying to install the x64/x86 version onto a sparc box. I didnt pay enough attention to the other downloads. I'm downloading now and I'll post back on how the install goes. Thank you all for your invaluable assistance. Maybe ill take this x86 home and install it on one of my pc's and play around with it!

The installation went great! Was very simple and straightforward. Now all i need to do is make sure i can connect to the internet. Is there a simple way to make sure all my peripherals are installed and recognized by the system? I skipped the network setup while installing and i shouldn't have but that just allows me to learn how to set the network up manually.

Thanks again

user dmesg to identify the name of your ethernet network device.

add your network address and hostname to /etc/hosts

put your gateways IP address in /etc/defaultrouter

put your hostname in /etc/nodename

put your hostname in /etc/hostname.<ifname> where <ifname> is the name of your ethernet network card

set up /etc/resolv.conf with the details of your name server

nameserver ip-address

reboot

• OR *

run "sys-unconfig" and you will go through all the configuration you missed on initial install.