Solaris 9 container on Solaris 11

Hi,

We have server SPARC M10. It's come with Solaris 11. Is it possible to install solaris 9 container?

We have database on old SPARC server. We want do HA for database. The database is oracle 9.2. Please advice.

Thanks.

Solaris 9 containers are only supported when in a Solaris 10 global zone.

An M10 supports both Solaris 11 and Solaris 10 so you need to create a Solaris 10 domain in the M10 in order to be able to host a Solaris 9 branded zone.

Can you point any document to install it? From global zone and branded zone.

---------- Post updated at 08:31 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:50 AM ----------

Solaris 10 in global zone of Solaris 11. Then i install Solaris 9 in Solaris 10. I want Solaris 9 can be accessible within local LAN. Base on doc from oracle said

The global zone is the default operating system and has control over all the processes. A global zone always exists even when no other zones are configured.

Non-global zones, or simply zones , are configured inside the global zone. Zones are isolated from the physical hardware by the virtual platform layer.
 A zone cannot detect the existence of any other zones.

Can sol 9 be accessible from local LAN?

Configuring the System With Hard Partitions - Oracle� VM Server for SPARC 3.1 Administration Guide

None of the above. Don't confuse domains (hard-partitioning) and zones (soft-partitioning).

This won't work. You can't use a non global Solaris 10 zone to install a Solaris 9 branded zone. These kind of zones do not nest.

Hopefully, otherwise they would be quite useless.

Any idea how i can install sol 9 in sol 11? I'm not familiar with solaris zone.

I know back in the day, we were forced to have two servers... Solaris 10 (for Sol 9 and 8 zones) and Solaris 11. I never found a solution outside of that. Now the "two servers" could be two LDOMs on the same physical host...

How about LDOM in Sol 11? Can i install sol 9 in ldom on sol 11?

As I already answered, you can't.

---------- Post updated at 01:08 ---------- Previous update was at 01:06 ----------

You do not install LDOMs in Solaris, you install Solaris in LDOMs. Please read the answers already provided and the LDOM (now known as "Oracle VM for SPARC") documentation I posted a link to.

I will try install Sol 11 on T2000. Then use Oracle VM, install Sol 9.

• Install Solaris 11 in the control domain
  • install Solaris 10 in a guest domain
  • install a Solaris 9 branded zone in the Solaris 10 instance