Solaris 8 using Flash Archive for Disaster Recovery

Hello everyone I am Kevin and new to this forum.

I have encounter an issue I can't seem to resolve. I am currently using Solaris 8 02/04 on Sun V240 servers. I know how to create a flar image of the server and restore it using NFS (network server) or Local Tape (tape drive). What I need to do is figure out how to directly archive the flar image to a portable USB hard drive. Also how to restore it from the USB hard drive or from a DVD.

1. I can't seem to get my server to recognize a USB pin drive or hard drive. This might be because the ones I am using are not compatible with Solaris 8.

2. I created a flar image then ftp'd it to a windows machine and burned it onto a DVD. I now want to restore that image using the Flash Archive Retrival Method on the Solaris OS CD #1. I boot the server from the CD then answer the questions up to the Flash Archive Retrival Method page. It gives me 5 options.

HTTP
NFS
Local File
Local Tape
Local Device

I use NFS and Local Tape to restore images from a network server of tape. I tried using the Local Device to restore from a DVD or USB hard drive, but I have not had any luck.

Any insight would be very helpful. This link explains the tape drive method BigAdmin Submitted Article: Using Flash Archive in the Solaris Operating System for Disaster Recovery

Thank you

Kevin M

Hi Kevin,

I can't answer your question, sorry, but maybe you can help me.

I need .iso images of the latest solaris 8 installation disks. I have somewhere lost mine, and they are no longer available to download from Sun. Can you help?

Thanks, Adam.

get from
Sunfreeware - Freeware Open Source Software for Sun Microsystem's Solaris