solaris 8 reset root password from OSX

Hello, I have two old Solaris machines

$ uname -a
SunOS unknown 5.8 Generic_117350-39 sun4u sparc SUNW,UltraAX-e2

unfortunately, it has been so long ago that i have used these that the root password has left my head...

i can log into one of the machine as a normal user, but am unable to do so on the second machine.

i tried to boot the machine with Solaris 11, in order to get to the filesystem and change the root password, as suggested by other posts, but the boot sequnce by passes the CD-ROM and goes directly to the boot prompt.

so my question:

my current laptop is a MacBook, 10.6.8, I don't have the original CD's just CD no 2 ;( the rest were lost)

also, on my MacBook, i only have USB ports, so i am unable to connect to the terminal via the serial adapter, unless I get a USB Serial Adapter.

recommendations much appreciated.

norman

Do you have a console attached to your second machine? If yes, you can follow the steps:

Boot into single user mode. At OK prompt, type:

boot -s

Remount the root file system with read+write.
Remove the encrypted password in the /etc/shadow file for root.
Next time you login as root, you won't be prompted for password. You can set the password now.

If you do not have a console attached to the machine, my friend, you are in real problem. :smiley:

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.

When you mean 'Do you have a console attached to your second machine?'

i can login as a normal user and can get to the system files but not as root.

Or do I have to connect the 1st machine to the 2nd machine with a serial adapter?

on the second machine, the IP address has been 'hard' wired and is not DHCP and it id 207.XX.XX.XX whereas my internal DHCP server allocates 192.168.0.x IPs for any machines that join.

when i log into the 1st machine, i get the login prompt, i don't get the command prompt where to type boot -s

so, with a serial adapter, connected between the two machines, i log into machine one (this is where i have the normal user) then open a terminal to the second machine and reboot this in single mode.

is this the procedure?

Can you get to the OBP (OpenBoot PROM) prompt when powering up the system?

If not, does Stop-A get you to the OBP prompt?

Stop-A gets me to the OBP prompt, and now i get the following screen:

INIT: SINGLE USER MODE

Type control-d to proceed with normal startup,
(or give root password for system maintenance):

i don't have the root password!

what should be my next steps?

many thanks