Solaris 8 installed but bash is not working

Hi All,

I've installed Solaris 8 and notice that bash is not working. I know we have other Sol8 boxes and bash is working on these boxes.

I believe Solaris 8 includes bash in full distribution, so does this mean the files on the CD are corrupted? Sol8 was burned on the CD1 and 2 so this is a possibility.

After the install, it seem /var was corrupted and running fsck seem to fix /var so I am wondering if there are other problems.

After installing Sol8 (or Sol9), what method do you use to test to ensure everything is working?

I am comtemplating reinstalling Sol8 but would have to do this if it's not necessary. I see that bash can be download from sunfreeware I believe, but is it supposed to come with Sol8 full distribution (I am assuming full distribution covers CD1 & CD2.

Taanks for your help.

Hi bluridge,

Before running any commands always check your man pages for backround & detailed information;

example :

<snip start>
bash-2.05$ man ls
Reformatting page. Please Wait... done

User Commands ls(1M)

Description
ls - list contents of directory
<snip end>

Have looked for bash in /usr/bin/bash?

command to type below

$ ls -al /usr/bin/bash

I hope this is of help.

Jnike

What do you mean by "it's not working?" Not because "it's working" on other boxes it means that it is even installed on the one you built. If my memory serves me well, Solaris 8 did not install bash by default; it came on a "cd companion" disk, and you had to install it after you installed the OS.
Use these commands:

# which bash
#pkginfo | grep bash

If they don't reply anything, then there's no bash installed.