Solaris 8 - Accessing Hard Drives

Hi,

I have two SCSI Hard Drives [Disk0: c0t0d0 & Disk1: c0t8d0] in a Sun Solaris 8 server as shown below. I would like to access Disk1 and look at its contents, directory structure and files. How do I change my default directory from Disk 0 to Disk 1 and vice versa?

Thank you.

On what directories are these two two disks mounted?

What do you mean by "default directory"? You use your shell's cd utility to change your current working directory to a different directory.

You create a new user in your system's user database ( /etc/passwd and associated files) with whatever directory you want to be that user's home directory.

1 Like

Don,

There are two SCSI Hard Drives in the Server: Disk 0 (Primary Disk with Solaris 8 on it) and Disk 1 (Secondary Disk with an Application on it). When I login to the Server as Root and issue the command: ls -la does it show me the files and directories on both Disk 0 and Disk 1 or just Disk 0?

I assumed it showed me the directory structures and files on disk0 only, and not on both since I would have to change and access the other disk 1 to look at its directory structure and files. Is this assumption correct?

I'm thinking it's like changing between drive A: and drive B: on a PC. Is this the same way in Solaris OS?

I'm new to Solaris and sorry for asking you basic questions.

I repeat: On what directories are these two two disks mounted?

If the filesystems on those disks have not been mounted, you will not be able to use ls to list the files on those disks. If you have mounted them, you can use:

ls -lRa /mountdir

to get a long listing showing all of the files on that disk (assuming that the disk is mounted on the directory /mountdir and on all filesystems mounted on directories located in that filesystem, recursively. The command:

ls -lRa /

will list all of the files on every filesystem that is currently mounted.

The command:

ls -la

with no operands (only the options you have shown), will give you a long listing of all files in your current working directory.

1 Like

No, it's definitely not the same with Unix.
There is no separate file hierarchy per disks (partitions) but a unified one starting from "/".

No problem asking basic questions. Start with showing us the output of "df -k" to see what is mounted and where.

1 Like

I guess you have to mount the other Disk before you can access to it.
Up to my knowledge, I only know how to mount other disk by certain partition only but not for all, hence you have to know the file you want to access was being stored in which partition first, so you can mount the partition for your access.
Below is the command which I use to mount on disk1 sectorX as /mnt
"/mount /dev/dsk/c0t1d0sX /mnt"