Solaris 11 server as Primary Domain Controller

Hi,

All of our servers run Solaris (currently 10, but looking to upgrade to 11). In each of our offices we have a server configured as a Primary Domain Controller via Samba to provide naming services to our Windoze users. I would like to continue with that arrangement, but I would also like to leverage the Solaris 11/ZFS built-in SMB/CIFS support.

My question is this: is this an either/or proposition? That is, if I want to run my server as a PDC, does that mean I use the traditional Samba implementation and cannot use the built-in SMB/CIFS services?

I've reviewed the Solaris docs, but I don't see any mention of this topic.

Thanks,
Bill

Hi,

I to have just started looking at a similar situation on our Solaris 10 estate, there is a quite good document here I have started with it - but there is a bit to get through.

Regards

Dave

---------- Post updated at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:07 PM ----------

Also, this blog post may be of some help;

https://blogs.oracle.com/timthomas/entry/configuring\_the\_opensolaris\_cifs_server

Regards

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for your reply. I have actually already reviewed the SMB and Windows Interoperability manual. That details joining and existing AD domain, but the problem is, we don't run AD. That blog post covers pretty much the same information as the manual released w/ S11.

It looks to me like if I want to run things in the same configuration I have today, I can't use the built-in SMB/CIFS support, and have to run Samba just as I do on S10.

Thanks,
Bill