Solaris 11 no sound despite finding hardware

Hello Everyone,
I'm new to Solaris, less than a week to give an idea how green I am.:eek: Although new to UNIX, I've been running Linux (i.e. OpenSUSE, Ultimate Edition, Arch, and obviously Ubuntu) for many years, so, I decided to put Solaris 11 on my 12 core opteron. I had a bit of difficulty with video drivers and got them to work, however, I am completely dumbfounded when it comes to my sound NOT working.:mad:

$ ls /dev/sound gives the following:
0                2ctl             audiocmi:0dsp    audiohd:1ctl
0ctl             audiocmi:0       audiocmi:0mixer  audiohd:1dsp
2                audiocmi:0ctl    audiohd:1        audiohd:1mixer

That being said, I've tried different devices in the "Sound Preferences" section to no avail. I've also tried another sound card and got a similar output that the device and drivers were working. I've also made sure that the cables are hooked up properly just to be sure I've exausted all options. I also went into the Device Driver Utility and didn't see anything wrong there as well, in fact I got the following:

node name:                          pci13f6,111
Vendor:                             C-Media Electronics Inc
Device:                             CMI8738/CMI8768 PCI Audio
Sub-Vendor:                         C-Media Electronics Inc
Sub-System:                         CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device
binding name:                       pci13f6,111
devfs path:                         /pci@0,0/pci1002,4384@14,4/pci13f6,111@2
bus addr:                           2
pci path:                           1,2,0
compatible name:                    (pci13f6,111.13f6.111.10)(pci13f6,111.13f6.111)(pci13f6,111)(pci13f6,111.10)(pci13f6,111)(pciclass,040100)(pciclass,0401)
driver name:                        audiocmi
instance:                           0
driver state:                       Attached
fm-errcb-capable:                   TRUE
ddi-no-autodetach:                  1
assigned-addresses:                 81011010
reg:                                11000
compatible:                         pci13f6,111.13f6.111.10
model:                              Audio device
power-consumption:                  1
devsel-speed:                       1
interrupts:                         1
max-latency:                        18
min-grant:                          2
subsystem-vendor-id:                13f6
subsystem-id:                       111
unit-address:                       2
class-code:                         40100
revision-id:                        10
vendor-id:                          13f6
device-id:                          111

I'm terribly sorry that I couldn't justify the margins with the output, but, I figured it would be better than nothing.
All that being said, I would greatly appreciate if someone could/would help me out with this problem.
Thanks for your time and help.

-Pete

Actually, the last output is incorrect, I changed sound cards back to the original:

node name:                          pci1102,18
Vendor:                             Creative Labs
Device:                             [SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio] CA0110-IBG
Sub-Vendor:                         Creative Labs
Sub-System:                         SB1040
binding name:                       pciclass,0403
devfs path:                         /pci@0,0/pci1002,5a18@4/pci1102,7006@0/pci1102,18@0
bus addr:                           0
pci path:                           5,0,0
compatible name:                    (pci1102,9.1102.18.0)(pci1102,9.1102.18)(pci1102,18)(pci1102,9.0)(pci1102,9)(pciclass,040300)(pciclass,0403)
driver name:                        audiohd
instance:                           0
driver state:                       Attached
fm-errcb-capable:                   TRUE
fm-ereport-capable:                 TRUE
ddi-no-autodetach:                  1
audiohd_beep:                       1
sample-rate:                        bb80
sample-bits:                        10
assigned-addresses:                 82050010
reg:                                50000
compatible:                         pci1102,9.1102.18.0
model:                              Mixed Mode device
power-consumption:                  1
fast-back-to-back:                  TRUE
devsel-speed:                       1
interrupts:                         1
max-latency:                        14
min-grant:                          2
subsystem-vendor-id:                1102
subsystem-id:                       18
unit-address:                       0
class-code:                         40300
revision-id:                        0
vendor-id:                          1102
device-id:                          9

Still can't get the whole code thing to work properly.
I'm not sure if this new output helps or not, but, it seems like it's taking longer than usual for a response regarding this matter; I'm not sure if this is too difficult or rediculously easy that someone is hoping I'll figure this out for my own dignity. LOL:)

This is a little out of my area of expertise, but it always helps if you tell us what hardware you're using. (Solaris 11 runs on a wide variety of manufacturer's boxes.) You have told us that the CPU card contains a 12 core Opteron chipset but not who manufactured the box nor that manufacturer's model number for your box. You have shown us that you have tried sound cards made by C-Media Electronics, Inc. and by Creative Labs but not the model numbers from those cards. And, you haven't said whether you are using internal speakers in the box you're using or external speakers (and, if external speakers, how they are connected to your box.

Even though Solaris 11 is relatively new, there have been several releases. What output do you get from?:

uname -msrv

Are there any diagnostics printed concerning your audio card, drivers, or other software when you boot your system?

Hi Don,

Thanks for a speedy response, I'm totally thrilled that I can do some constructive learning regarding Solaris 11 and get to the bottom of this.
You make some interesting points and posed some good questions:b::slight_smile:
My Motherboard is an Asus K8N-DRE with two 6 core Opterons.
The sound card is Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio (PCIe) with a CA0110-IBG chipset. Or, do I need more specific information? Link is here: Creative Worldwide Support -+Blaster&prodID=16770&prodName=PCI+Express+X-Fi+Xtreme+Audio (Sorry, aparently I'm not allowed to hyperlink, YET:D)
The CMedia Part # is pm2ft8768x3c and the version is 2.0 and the manufacturers very own description can be had here. cmedia.com.tw/ProductsDetail/page-p/C1Serno-53/C2Serno-56/PSerno-33.html
$ cat /etc/release gives the following output:

Oracle Solaris 11.3 X86
  Copyright (c) 1983, 2015, Oracle and/or its affiliates.  All rights reserved.
                            Assembled 06 October 2015

And

uname -a gives:
SunOS Huge-Balls 5.11 11.3 i86pc i386 i86pc

Pardon my Solaris client name, I never had any intention of anyone seeing that.

As far as speakers go, they are external amplified 2.1 logitech speakers that plug directly into the sound card. The manufacturers website regarding this product is here: Logitech Z313 Computer Speaker System with Subwoofer
As far as the diagnostics, I'm not sure which log file you'd like me to look at.:confused: Could you tell me what and where I can pull it up and give it to you?

Thanks again Don for all your help and time. :slight_smile:

-Pete

---------- Post updated at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:52 PM ----------

I keep getting messages to fix my "codes", I'm trying to and not having any luck, when I try to respond to private messages I'm told it's not possible until I reach a 10 post count. I can't list hyper-links until I reach a certain count either.
One of my private messages looked like it had a video tutorial, unfortunately, I'm missing that plugin. I'm not sure if there is another way to see a tutorial.
I'm definitely here to learn, being new to UNIX I'm frustrated and losing sleep and time throughout my day, so, a little latitude would be greatly appreciated.
I'm not some trouble maker, and once again, I'm here to learn, which means I MUST be taught, but, if I'm going to keep being admonished without proper teaching, I'll go somewhere else for help.:frowning:
Thx and sorry for my shortcomings.

To keep the forums high quality for all users, please take the time to format your posts correctly.

First of all, use Code Tags when you post any code or data samples so others can easily read your code. You can easily do this by highlighting your code and then clicking on the # in the editing menu. (You can also type code tags

```text
 and 
```

by hand.)

Second, avoid adding color or different fonts and font size to your posts. Selective use of color to highlight a single word or phrase can be useful at times, but using color, in general, makes the forums harder to read, especially bright colors like red.

Third, be careful when you cut-and-paste, edit any odd characters and make sure all links are working property.

Thank You.

The UNIX and Linux Forums

Hi Don,

Thanks for your response, unfortunately, I keep getting a mesasage "A plugin is needed to display this content."

That being said, I'm going to practice on making code and such.

Test

I think I got it, YOUR quick explanation was better than any video tutorial.

Thanks again Don:)

Hi,

Just out of curiosity, have you disabled the on board sound in the bios. I can remember reading an Oracle blog post about this fairly recently, I'm sure it involved some re-compilation of code. I'll have a look back through my browsing history and see if I can find the URL.

Regards

Gull04

Hi Gull,

That's something I didn't think about.
Do you mean the teeny-tiny speaker that beeps? i.e. When the RAM is missing/defective, there is a series of beeps.
I only mention that because this Asus K8N-DRE is a server-type motherboard and doesn't come with on-board sound per-SE.
That being said, I'm going to check the BIOS and see if there is a way to disable whatever on-board sound, if any.

Thanks for your time and input Gull.:b::slight_smile:

-Pete

Hi,

Sorry for the delay;

Yes, I did mean the on board beep - however I have now found the link. But I'm not sure how much it will help. The link is here.

Regards

Gull04

Hi Gull,

I concur, the post is similar but the main discernible difference is that mine found the hardware and properly installed the drivers, where your link didn't.
But, that being said, I still tried going into the BIOS and doing as you said, I went through a myriad of settings, even crashing my BIOS a few times, that I had to remove my main board battery, without any luck.

Any other thoughts? I'm game for just about anything to try.

Thanks again Gull.:slight_smile:

-Pete

I know that I'm coming into this thread late and this may be a stupid question but have you tried a different OS just to checkout the hardware is working? For example, load a 'live' DVD, perhaps even a Solaris one, run up Firefox and play some media from the web.

If that works then it's got to be a driver or other software issue, doesn't it?

Late into the thread and just a long shot here...
(I know nothing about Solaris so forgive my response if it seems trivial.)

Maybe the driver's _volume_setting_ has defaulted to minimum or off. It may require a GUI to turn it on.

If you have a default command line player, (I am making an assumption it has one), try running a simple '.wav' file to attempt to enable the volume.

Alternatively if you are allowed to install SoX this is a sophistcated command line audio tool that should do the trick if the driver(s) is not either corrupt or incorrect...

No such thing as a stupid question in this business.:slight_smile:

That being said, as far as OS's, yes I've had several installed and recently, prior to installing Solaris, I was running Windows 10, and 7 before that with a dual boot running Ultimate Edition 4.6 Gamers Edition and NEVER had any sort of problem with sound. I tried loading the live DVD many times trying to access many sound settings, web pages, and videos without luck. I'm not so sure it's a driver related issue on the sound blaster side (or the other card I tried), or rather it may be Solaris has a bug reading the drivers properly, hence my thoughts that there's a way to fix it. I say that because the output says the hardware is found and drivers are loaded without errors. However, I need to add this disclaimer: I'm not a Solaris expert, so, there's a decent chance I'm misinterpreting the output.
I did manage to get SOX installed, unfortunately I know nothing about SOX.:confused:
WiseCracker, can you tell me where to start? i.e command and syntax regarding this audio application; I'm not sure what kind of output you'd be looking for.

Thanks guys for your help and time.:smiley:
-Pete

Here goes:-

(Important note: SOX is now becoming part of many Linux installs inside '/usr/bin/'.)

#!/bin/sh
# af_test.sh
# Note my sox version is 14.4.2 so '~/sox-14.4.2/' will have to be changed to '/your/full/path/to/sox-xx.x.x/'.
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/tmp/noise.raw bs=1024 count=64
~/sox-14.4.2/sox -q -b 8 -r 8000 -v 1 -e unsigned-integer /tmp/noise.raw -d trim 0 00:02 > /tmp/sox.log 2>&1

-q = run without animation and verbose mode.
-b = bit depth, 8 bit depth here.
-r = sample rate 8000Hz.
-v = volume level, 1 is the normal maximum.
-e = encoding, unsigned-integer here.
-d = playback mode when after the filename being played.
trim 0 00:02 = play the 8 second file for 2 seconds.

-c = number of channels, not rquired here.

There is much much more!
The sox manual is extensive and what it can't do is not worth doing.

I managed to get SoX up and going, unfortunately once my syntax was correct(I think) there were no errors in the log, in fact, the log had nothing. When I had mis-wrote some code, it returned an error, so, I know it's transcribing info. Although it's quite possible I'm totally missing something.
OR, was the log supposed to return an output of some sort if it's working properly??:confused:

I tried:

/usr/bin/sox -q -b 8 -r 8000 -v 1 -e unsigned-integer /tmp/noise.raw -d trim 0 00:02 > /tmp/sox.log 2>&1

Which showed my /tmp/sox.log totally barren.

Trying to play an MP3 off my NAS I've realized that I don't have the Fruenhoffer/MP3 codec, I've heard that Fluendo is pretty awesome as well, and supports a plethora of video/audio codecs. Unfortunately I don't have any repositories I can add after doing a cursory search. Any thoughts?

However, I'm under the impression that the simple gnome accessible sound files are playable. Or, do codecs have to be installed before even playing NON-proprietary music files?

That being said, is there a way to add Beta-OSS drivers through a repository? I was reading somewhere that maybe a newer version may have certain "Fixes" to my problemo.

I am totally frustrated and losing sleep over this menagerie. Despite that, I've been totally seduced with the whole Solaris experience, unfortunately one of the basic tenants -- audio is nonexistent.:frowning:

Any thoughts?

As always, Thanks for the help.

-Pete

This one still has me scratching my head. What media did you use to install Solaris?

For what it's worth I've just installed Solaris on a HP ProLiant with a SoundBlaster add-in card (CA106 chipset) and the sound just worked. I'm using Solaris x86 11.3 Live DVD. I can boot the DVD and launch Firefox from the Live desktop and play YouTube clips with sound. I can do the same with Solaris x86 11.1 Live DVD.

I then installed Solaris on my hard drive by clicking on the "Solaris Install" desktop icon and after installation, booting from the HD, sound works just fine.

I know that saying this isn't much help to you but it should be that easy; famous last words.

What happens when you boot from Live media?

OSS and PulseAudio give /dev/dsp as a device.

I did some checking and it looks like OSS 4x is already installed but I could be wrong.

From that POV there SHOULD be a device /dev/dsp available...

See if it exists ls /dev/dsp to check.

If it does try this:-

cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp

OR

cat /dev/random > /dev/dsp

(Ctrl-C to stop it.)

Are you using your Solaris in Terminal, Console or GUI, (Gnome?), mode?

EDIT:

It might give a result somethng like this:-

cat /tmp/sox.log
/Users/barrywalker/sox-14.4.2/sox WARN rate: rate clipped 3330 samples; decrease volume?
/Users/barrywalker/sox-14.4.2/sox WARN sox: `coreaudio' output clipped 3292 samples; decrease volume?

This is a warning only and only comes on _input_ or _output_ overload.

As you have an empty log then it suggests to me that you either have an external input selected.
The output level is fixed at OFF.
The input level is switched OFF.

If you remove the '-q' from the sox command and run you should see something like this:-

cat /tmp/sox.log

/tmp/noise.raw:

File Size: 65.5k     Bit Rate: 64.0k
  Encoding: Unsigned PCM  
  Channels: 1 @ 8-bit    
Samplerate: 8000Hz       
Replaygain: off         
  Duration: 00:00:08.19  

In:25.0% 00:00:02.05 [00:00:06.14] Out:88.2k [!=====|=====!] Hd:0.0 Clip:6.50k
/Users/barrywalker/sox-14.4.2/sox WARN rate: rate clipped 3217 samples; decrease volume?
/Users/barrywalker/sox-14.4.2/sox WARN sox: `coreaudio' output clipped 3286 samples; decrease volume?
Done.

If you see the !=====|=====! then you have output but the volume is OFF.
If you see the ! | ! then you may or may not have output, but the input source is possibly wrong or OFF.

Hicks,

Yes, I've tried a Live DVD/CD and I experienced the same thing. I know that one of the simple tenants of an Desktop OS is sound, but, I don't have it and I'm quite envious that you do.:stuck_out_tongue:

WiseCracker,

ls /dev/dsp

Confirms that /dev/dsp exists

Doesn't seem to return an error.

sudo /usr/bin/sox  -b 8 -r 8000 -v 1 -e unsigned-integer /tmp/noise.raw -d trim 0 00:02 > /tmp/sox.log 2>&1

Gives me the following in my /tmp/sox.log

/usr/bin/sox FAIL formats: can't open input file `/tmp/noise.raw': No such file or directory

Funny thing I don't see noise.raw in /tmp, where I thought it was created. Or am I running in circles? Or the fact that it's early in the AM for me. Shouldn't SoX have created the noise.raw file? Or, do I have to create one and give attributes?
I'm running Solaris through Gnome.
I think my Solaris shortcomings are starting to show.:frowning:
I'm not sure this is related, OR, I'm putting the cart before the horse. BUT, I am unable to play MP3 files, when I try through SoX; is there a repository I need to add? The MP3 Decoder doesn't show in package manager either.
Where do we go from here?
As always, Thanks for your help and time.:b:

-Pete:D

Did you run my original shell program?

#!/bin/sh
# af_test.sh
# Note my sox version is 14.4.2 so '~/sox-14.4.2/' will have to be changed to '/your/full/path/to/sox-xx.x.x/'.
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/tmp/noise.raw bs=1024 count=64
~/sox-14.4.2/sox -b 8 -r 8000 -v 1 -e unsigned-integer /tmp/noise.raw -d trim 0 00:02 > /tmp/sox.log 2>&1

The 'dd' command IS needed to generate the /tmp/noise.raw file.
However the line......

......should have generated a loud white noise sound out of the speakers.

Have you tried using headphones?

WiseCracker,

I did run:

/usr/bin/sox -q -b 8 -r 8000 -v 1 -e unsigned-integer /tmp/noise.raw -dd trim 0 00:02 > /tmp/sox.log 2>&1

This time making sure I used the -dd command, however, I think I'm doing something wrong.

The sox.log only describes the following:

/usr/bin/sox FAIL formats: can't open input file `/tmp/noise.raw': No such file or directory

Which means that I didn't create a file with -dd added in.
I tried using headphones and there's absolutely zero sound coming through.
Any thoughts?
Thx