Solaris 11 install via live usb

Hello All,

I am attempting to boot and install Solaris 11 via live USB on a HP DL580 Gen9 Server.

Unfortunately, when I do this it boots into System Maintenance Mode.
The attachment (Pic1) shows what I am seeing via the console.

The BIOS is in UEFI boot. Does not work on legacy mode as I get a red screen with Illegal Opcode (attached Pic2).

Any ideas as to what can be done to install Solaris 11?

Thanks.

Looks like the O/S isn't installing the RAID array driver.

See this Oracle page:

OTN - HCL: Hewlett-Packard Smart Array P830i SAS Controller

Tells you to download the required driver.

I have been a bit busy at the moment but I plan to try this later today. Will let you know how this goes.

I am having some problems trying to get the driver install files that I have downloaded onto the system. But that is proving to be a bit more difficult than I initially thought it would be.
Honestly, I am stuck.

I was trying to mount a folder from my laptop via the ILO interface. However, I was unable to figure out which device to mount when I did this.

Decided instead to enable networking. I have an IP on the NIC port (which is pingable) now need to enable ssh service and the dependencies. Which is a lot...lol. XD

---------- Post updated at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:27 PM ----------

Update, don't think I can get the services needed for ssh as all the dependencies are not starting.
Any suggestions?

The documentation says that you can put the driver(s) onto a USB stick and load them from there during the Solaris 11 install routine.

See the bottom of this page:
Drivers & Software - HPE Support Center.

Not sure if it is possible because it seems the services for mounting USB is offline as well. See Pic3.

Hmmmm......maybe you're right. With the USB stick plugged into a port what says:

# rmformat -l

Does it see the deivce?

The interesting thing is I am not seeing that command in the list. In fact there are a number of commands that I would expect to see that I am not seeing at all.
Forgive I am new to Solaris 11, my experience is more with Solaris 10 and a little bit of Solaris 9.
See Pic 4
Edit: $PATH is /usr/bin:/usr/sbin

There is currently two USB flash drives connected to the system, one being the live boot.
See pic 5 for the list of disk devices.

The service is there to automatically mount removable media but you should still be able to detect and mount them manually:

devfsadm -v
mount -F pcfs /dev/dsk/cNt0d0s0:c /mnt

Hello jlliagre, I did not run the

devfsadm -v

when I had placed the second usb so now another device is showing up.

However, trying to mount as you recommended but it did not work.

Did a

svcs volfs

but it does have a service with that name as well.

ok

What command did you try and what error did you get?
Is the USB key formatted as FAT32 or NTFS?

Everything that jlliagre said plus read this thread:

If, as jlliagre is trying to help you do, you are trying to mount it manually then you do NOT want the volfs service running. If you are trying to manually manage the device you don't want an automated service trying to manage it at the same time!!!

Apologies for the time it took for me to respond.
The USB is indeed FAT32.
The

devfsadm-v

output is in pic7.
That is matched with disk device on c13 see pic8.
Which I tried to mount as Jilliagre recommended see pic9.

As for volfs service I am noting that it does not seem to be on the live boot which I thought was strange as I was expecting that this to be in an offline State. See pic10.

Hmm, the issue is that message:

FSType pcfs is not installed on this system

Without FAT32 support, there is no way to mount the USB device.

A workaround would be to write a tar archive containing the drivers you want directly to the USB raw device without using any file system.

1 Like

I had a look into this and actually tried it out. The steps I ended up with are:

Boot from the Solaris USB Live media and let it boot up to the full GUI (X-Windows)
Open a terminal and 'su' to root. Password is 'solaris'.
Put the second USB memory stick into a USB port.
Run 'format' and select this second stick.
Note: To get 'format' to list the device I needed to run in expert mode:

# format -e

Select 'fdisk' and create a FAT32 partition on the stick. Select 100% occupancy, and exit ('update disk config and exit').

In this example the device was c2t0d0p0 so write out a filesystem on the stick:

# mkfs -F pcfs -o fat=32 /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0p0:c

Power down

# init 0

Remove the second stick and stuff it into a Windows system (in my case I was using Windows 7 SP1) and the stick should auto-mount normally. Copy whatever required files to it.

Place stick back into the Solaris box and boot from the USB Live media stick which you left there. Wait for the full GUI to appear. 'su' to root again. The second stick should automatically mount under '/media/NONAME/.....'

Give that a go. It worked for me. Hope that helps.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I have been pulled on some other tasks so I have not been able to fully commit time to exploring the recent suggestions posted.
I will provide some feedback on this once I am able do so but it is going to be sometime before I am able to get back to this.
Many thanks to hicksd8 and jlliagre for the help in this.