Solaris 10 X86

Ok here goes, this MCSE is now fed up with MS, they are telling me that my Legal XP has a s/num they didnt issue.
After countless emails I am P with them and am loooking for a new OS.
Tried Linux, got it working but seems too flaky for me.
Have installed Solaris 10 X86 (on a temp pc AMD Athlon 1.3 GHZ ) but I am wondering if its small 16mB video card may not be enough for X Windows.
Two things, my Internet connection is on a Windows PC with Inet sharing set up. The Linus PC worked just fine but cant get the Solaris to work.
I suspect it is because I have not got a default gateway set up.
HOW do I reconfigure the O/S to set one up.
Also on logging in from the console X will not start, I have been able to start it by going into the X11 directory and typing (GRM) I think.
I have run the setup program and all seems fine, also you get to see the colours OK.
Sorry to be a bit vague but I have limited experience with Unix type systems.

Thanks
Mike

First step for Solaris on x86/x64 is a visit to the HCL to see if your harware is fully supported.

A default route is configured by creating a file /etc/defaultrouter containing the ip address of the router (and nothing else). This will take on next reboot, you can use the command

route add default XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

where XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is the ip of the gateway to set it temporarily, without a reboot.

16mb of video memory is plenty to run an X desktop, the limitations as to what you can do with it are similar to those you would experience in windows with 16mb: you just can't go to graphically intensive.