Solaris 10 upgrade exiting ( caught signal 11)

Hi,

I am pretty new to Solaris and am trying to upgrade from the OBP.

I go through the process of booting from the cdrom, entering all necessary information and running the upgrade. The system completes analysis and then fail with the

EXITING (caught signal 11) error

I believe that signal 11 points to a hardware problem so I ran some diagnostics from the OBP but that didn't shed any light on the issue.

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced a similar issue?

Cheers

what model is the system? Is there amber LED seen ? Is the OS already installed and running? whats the obp from which you're upgrading to? what diagnostic? where is your output?
:confused:
Most of the time, OBP can be upgraded from multi-user but system will auto-reboot upon completion.

I have 2 sun fire v880 boxes and am trying to upgrade Solaris 10 from DVD on both. The upgrade is failing on both boxes with the same signal 11 error. If anyone can give me a few pointers as to what I should be looking for here it would be much appreciated. It's driving me nuts at the moment. :confused:

what are you trying to do?

the OP says OBP. are you attempting both ?

No sorry for the confusion. I am logged in to the OBP to run the upgrade just by running boot cdrom from the ok> prompt.

I had the same symptom trying to upgrade from Solaris 10u7 to 10u8. I found the solution here Yahoo! Groups
and here
Live Upgrade fails during upgrade from Solaris 10 U7 to U8 - comp.unix.solaris | Computer Group

It was caused by pkginfo files having empty SUNW_LOC fields. If this returns any results:
grep "SUNW_LOC=$" /var/sadm/pkg/*/pkginfo
then remove the "SUNW_LOC=" lines. You can make copies of the originals & restore them after the upgrade.

Regards

Nick