Solaris 10 SCSA Information request

Hi I'm a IT manager &, as were taking on Solaris boxes looking for information on Solaris 10 features \ exam material to revise on...

I'm already a Solaris SCSA, version 8

I have Sun's bigadmin plus opensolaris (though unsure of how much this would help

thanx in advance

-------------------------------------------------------------------
~ stevie
Solaris SCSA (v8)
Microsoft MCP

look here for all the new features:
Solaris 10 What's New

danke dukenuke

just need to contact sun to see what the latets exam does & doesn't contain, in relation to the 08/07 release

Sun's link for the exam objectives is dead
Got the objectives, interestingly from Paul Sanghera , whose book doens't cover the upgrade exam!

The big ones are
-RBAC
-Zones
-SMF

For the Solaris 10 objectives, see here:

Sun Certified System Administrator for the Solaris 10 OS, Part I (CX-310-200)
Sun Certified System Administrator for the Solaris 10 OS, Part II (CX-310-202)

... your list above is missing:

ZFS
Dtrace
LDOMs
WANboot ( more a part og the OBP, but...)

-dangral-, as previously specified i'm referring to the Upgrade exam

Oracle United Kingdom | Cloud Applications and Cloud Platform is dead

-system shock- whilst your list is new features of Solaris 10, my digging around the exam objectives of the Upgarde., AND Part I & II doesn't cover them

thanks though!

CX-310-203

-------------------------------------------------------------------
~ stevie
Solaris SCSA (v8)
Microsoft MCP
Ubuntu & Fedora on-the-way

... and that's why certifications don't mean much.

Some of those technologies were introduced after v10 was released (e.g. ZFA), hence the freeze on new technologies comeing into the syllabus

...and they probably will not make it to the stllabus, as the "certifications" usually do not cover the entire OS. And they aren't "new" features: ZFS has been out for over a year, Dtrace longer than that... I don't know who it is in Europe, but here in the U.S., certifications may or may not help you get an inital interview, but surely will not help you get through the technical interview.

I'm not sure what your saying as this seems to be off-topic
-Solaris 10 was released Jan 2005, ZFS June 2006
-I'm a IT Manager already
-My Solais SCSA v8 actually helped me getting a SA Position with a US Investment Bank - though I agree...Expereince is far more important

I digress...If anyone else cares to contribute to thie theme of the topic, then i'll close this thread within a week.

yep, and today is January 31st, 2008, so Solaris 10 has been out for 3 years and ZFS for one and a half years.

BTW, I do consider this whole thread off-topic, since I consider this forum to be a technical forum, not a chat about getting certifications. However, I do feel that I need to point out to those who are seeking a career in the technical side of things, actually working with the OS, hardware, etc, that what gets you the Sr Engineering job with the six figure salary is knowing the answers to the technical questions during the technical,interview, and today, in the US, you better know about virtualization, and Dtrace,and LDOMs, and all that good stuff.

The US Invstment Banks I'm aware of (3) do not plan to use Virtualisation or LDOMS. However, If you work for a ISP, which is the other end form the six-figure sum, you may get away with virtualisation, but I would ask any potential interviewee a scenario in whihc the technology fails, & how that person would rectify the situation, which is beyond certification.

Thread Closed

...maybe an admin can actually move this thread out of this forum because it doesn't belong here, and maybe even lock it.

...yeah, there are only 3 banks in the US.
..but it just happens that I do work for a major US Bank and guess what? virtualization is already in this bank and it's been in for a while, as it is in most of the major banks in the US.

You can ask any potential interviewee whatever you want, but how are you going to know if he answers it correctly or not?