Solaris 10 on Dell R710 server

Hello everyone,

We have an application which runs on SPARC machine, it is tested and runs without any problem, we are due to upgrade that machine but as cost-cutting measures we are thinking of buying a Dell PowerEdge 710 x86 machine this time, two questions..
1) any performance difference you reckon between a modern SPARC machine (e.g. SPARC M5000) and Dell R710 machine?
2) technically is there any thing which can stop our application running on x86 platform which successfully runs on SPARC platform?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Cheers.

The most obvious difference is the architecture change. Is your application available for Solaris on x86 ?

It should run fine as long as Solaris runs on your x86 system, and as jlliagre already posted you can get x86 binaries for it.

There may be some performance differences, too.

My application runs on x86. Actually my question was mainly for performance, Sun hardware is usually very expensive while Dell x86 is even less than half the price of that, I have read on many forums that now a days people prefer to run Solaris on x86, what is your expert opinion on it?

while dell hardware has even half the features of oracle/sun hardware... like no ilom or only one network port and powersupply (depending on the modell).