Solaris 10 on CDROM?

Hello,
First i'm Dutch, and my English is not very well. Sorry. :smiley:

I have got a Sun Microsystems Ultra 3D (with SPARC processor). The file must be burned to a DVD. And my computer can onley read a cd.

How to get Solaris 10 on a few cds?

Please help me.
Thanks a lot..

Greets.

No choice, you should get a dvd writer :frowning:

Thanks for your very quick reply!

Does fit a older version on a cd? (For example Solaris 8?) I've try to download it, but I can't find a download link. (Have I searched with my eyes closed? :confused:)

There are other ways to install Solaris 10 or newer without a DVD reader but you should first make sure your hardware has enough resources, especially RAM.

Thanks for the reply!

I don't know how many MhZ my CPU is. I've got 128MB RAM.
I don't have any USB slots.
I've one cd player and one floppy drive (3,5 inch).

Greets!

you need at least 256mb to run solaris 10 and 348mb to use the graphical display... look at ebay for a solaris 7 or 8 mediaset.

Can I download Solaris 8? I don't want to buy it. . . . . . .. . . .

don't know since the oracle merger... before, i think, there was a download but i can't find it on the oracle homepage...

It's gone now:

Solaris Operating System - Releases

thanks reborg...

Solaris 8 hasn't been downloadable for free since 2005 at least, nothing Oracle merger related.

Milax (an OpenSolaris distribution) is documented to run in CLI mode with 128 MB of RAM:
MilaX minimal Live Distribution (Project milax.WebHome) - XWiki

Thanks everybody very much for all the reply' s!!!

I want a graphic user interface. Thanks a lot for searching! Maybe there a other distrubutions of Solaris that will work on my system.

I don't know or Milax will work on my system because I have a Sparc processor.

All reply's are welcome!!!!! :):):););):wink:

Greets, Tom

there ARE solaris distributions that work... but they are not free downloadable... so?!?! if you need a GUI, use a PC and install solaris 10 x86.

That's probably quite ambitious by today's standards. However, you might be able to run an X server and a lightweight window manager at a reasonable speed with some tuning.

Milax definitely supports SPARC along with x86 and x64 architectures.

Not without at least a Sun support contract, EBay is your best bet.

An Ultra-3 mobile has 550MHz or 650MHz processor, ok.
An Ultra-30 has a 250MHz or 300MHz processor, not up to the job.
Cannot find mention of an Ultra-3D?

I assumed that was a typo, there was indeed never a Ultra-3D. A 250 Mhz CPU can run an X server with no particular problem. A 50 Mhz SS10 did it flawlessly some time ago. The U30 graphic card support might however be an issue with Milax.
Finding a Solaris 8 media seems to be the most reasonable approach.

Hello,
Thanks for the replys!

A friend said that it is a Ultra Sparc III but (I see it now) it's is maybe an Sparc Ultra III. (I feel me so stupid...... :()
I maked a picture of the front from my computer.

This type of computer have I.

If it is unpossible to get Solaris worked on my system, is it possible to run a another operating system???

Greets, Tom

this is a "ultra 10" and with some more RAM solaris 10 should run nicely...

Solaris 8 to 10 are the most suitable OS to run but you might try several Gnu/Linux distributions including Debian
PortsSparc - Debian Wiki and Ubuntu. Alternatively, your hardware is also supported by OpenBSD: OpenBSD/sparc64

Thanks for your replay!

Maybe it's a stupid question, but, have I a 64 bit pc?