Solaris 10 install won't accept IP address

Hi

I am trying to debug an issue with an automated install I have set-up. So to start I just ran a simple
ok; boot cdrom - install

but when it came to the IP address field it would only take the following format 123.123.123.12 and would not let me enter the last digit

Anybody got any ideas

/sken

It sometimes happens if a non-print character has accidentally been entered, usually backspacing the entire address will clear it, otherwise, continue on the the confirm screen and don't accept the values, go back and reenter the information, again making sure to fully clear the address field first.

Maybe check your IP range as well :confused:
Class Networks
A 10.0.0.0 through 10.255.255.255
B 172.16.0.0 through 172.31.0.0
C 192.168.0.0 through 192.168.255.0

It's very easily to overlook, but did you plumb the interface?

e.g. #ifconfig "interface" plumb

I've always had a problem entering interface data when switching between Solaris & LINUX for example. Other UNIX's don't require the "plumb" operation when setting up an interface.

Cheers:b:

Did you read the OP? This is during inital installation, you NEVER need to plumb anything at this point, and in fact you are in an interactive configuration program and can't do so.

' sorry 'bout that I didn't see that was an automated / initial installation where the "plumb" operation is irrelevent.

Cheers:b:

Hi Guys,

thanks for your responses, but still no joy, I think there is something very strabge going on with this machine so it's been logged with SUN, I update you once we have a solution

//sken

which release of Solaris 10 were you using? And what's the machine model?

Using update 4 of Solaris 10, I can enter "123.123.123.123" with no problem. I too would like to know which version of Solaris has a problem.

IP Address for e1000g0 

Enter the Internet Protocol (IP) address for this network interface.  It
  must be unique and follow your site's address conventions, or a
  system/network failure could result.

IP addresses contain four sets of numbers separated by periods (for example
  129.200.9.1).

IP address for e1000g0 123.123.123.123

> Press F2 to go to the next screen.

Edit: Also which interface? As you can see, I am using the serial port interface, not the x-based gui interface.

is it possible that this behavior is controlled by the sysidcfg file? maybe setting in netmask or something else?