Solaris 10 32bit installation

Hi
sorry for the novice question.
i need to install Solaris 10 32bit version.
i downloaded the ISO from oracle website.
as i understand the same ISO is for the 64bit as well as the 32bit install???
i ran the install and didn't have the option to choose which architecture to choose?

Thanks
Guy

During installation the hardware is checked and solaris is installed acording to the hardware capabilities. You can check which kernel you are running after installation.

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19082-01/819-2380/enfli/index.html

Welcome guy3145.

The only silly question is the one that you don't ask when you don't understand. We all started at the beginning too, so you are very welcome.

If the OS installed and you can boot, that's a good start in any case. I think that you can use prtconf to find out what it has installed as. If there was no question, it will probably have defaulted to match your hardware.

What hardware are you installing onto? If it's 32-bit architecture then the 64-bit kernel will not run, so that may answer it for you.

Is there a special reason that you need it to be 32-bit?

Robin

What hardware are we talking? Sparc or x86?

Hi Robin and thank for your reply.

1. I'm installing to a Vmware machine.
  2. My company need the 32bit for testing purposes
  3. I attached a print screen of the command
  4. What I need to do in order to run solaris 10 in 32bit mode permanently?

---------- Post updated at 06:47 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:36 AM ----------

now the image is displayed.
im using INTEL env

---------- Post updated at 06:49 AM ---------- Previous update was at 06:47 AM ----------

let me get this straight. if i want to run solaris 10 in 32bit mode i need to find some old pc with a cpu that don't support 64bit?

No, a 64 bit x86 machine can run a Solaris 10 32 bit kernel, if this is really what you want.
You can switch to the 32 bit kernel by changing some grub boot loader options.

Can you better explain what tests your company want to perform that are impacted by wheter Solaris runs in 32 or 64 bit mode? Note that the 64 bit kernel can run both 32 and 64 bit binaries.

Note too that starting from Solaris 11, 32 bit is no more an option for the x86 kernel. This change already happened with Solaris 10 on SPARC.

2 Likes

thanks for your reply.
my company is a software company, they need to test our software in solaris 10 intel 32bit only mode.
can you provide me with the procedure on how to change the grub boot loader options?

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/817-1985/fwbme/index.html

Thanks,
can i make this boot argument permanent?

---------- Post updated at 02:34 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:55 AM ----------

success!!
many thanks

You realize you can run and fully test 32-bit binaries on 64-bit Solaris? Just compile with the "-m32" flag.

Try this:

cd /bin
file *

32- and 64-bit live happily together on Solaris.