Software RAID doubt

hi friends,
I am having issues with adding a spare device to a failed array.

I have created RAID 1 with 3 partitions using mdadm command. Later I added a spare with

mdadm --add /dev/md0 /dev/sdb6

This works fine and when I check this with mdadm --detail command it just sits there as a spare device.
And now, if I set one of the active raid device in the array as faulty, the spare device becomes active and the failed device becomes faulty spare. This looks perfect, but once i reboot the machine and type mdadm --detail /dev/md0, both the failed device as well as the spare device are not seen in the array..

Why is this happening...where am i going wrong..?

pls help

what does your mdadm.conf file look like?

what about /proc/mdstat?

hi mark, i dont have an mdadm.conf file...(This is RHEL 5 system). I could not locate where this file is...sorry.

What is the ouput from mdadm --detail?

You should have an /etc/mdadm.conf configuration file. If you do not have one, you need to create one.

Initial stage of the raid array:

mdadm --detail /dev/md0
    Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
       0       3       11        0      active sync   /dev/hda11
       1       3       12        1      active sync   /dev/hda12
       2       3       13        2      active sync   /dev/hda13

3      3        14       -       spare   /dev/hda14

after the mdadm --fail /dev/hda13

Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
       0       3       11        0      active sync   /dev/hda11
       1       3       12        1      active sync   /dev/hda12
       2       3       14       2      active sync   /dev/hda14

3      3        13      -       faulty spare     /dev/hda13

after rebooting..
both the faulty spare (/dev/hda13) and the newly active raid device (/dev/hda14) are removed from the array... and only /dev/hda11 and /dev/hda12 are active.
I touched a file named /etc/mdadm.conf, but nothing is configured there nor any output from that file..

do this:

mdadm --examine --scan > /etc/mdadm.conf

---------- Post updated at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous update was at 12:56 AM ----------

[quote=
i touched a file named /etc/mdadm.conf, but nothing is configured there nor any output from that file..[/quote]

It is a conf file, not a log, so you won't get output. This is probably why you are having your issues. I have given the command on how to create this file.

hi mark,
thanks. I will do as u guided and let u know the results.bye.

---------- Post updated 08-04-09 at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous update was 08-03-09 at 11:08 PM ----------

mark, I have tried as you mentioned, but i am not successful. The same things happen after I set one of the active device as faulty, (both the faulty device as well as the spare device gets removed...).

what is the output of the command? How did you build this array? What is the output of cat /proc/mdstat ?