software ID clone

the following command will give me software ID from HP machine with hpux10.2:

>uname -a
HP-UX bmd350 B.10.20 D 9000/831 2011043966 64-user license

The string 2011043966 is the actual software ID which is used as number to license software.
Now my machine breaks down and I would like to replace by another same type machine, unfortunately this other machine will have another software ID which will disable me using software as how is was used on the defective machine.

Now i would like to know if i can copy the software ID number to another HP machine type B2600.
I have some information that the software ID is unique and derived from the on-board ethernet port MAC address, is this right?

Thanks for your help!

Hi,

It's a long time since I worked on HPUX, but it was 10.20 - It is possible to change the host ID of the machine which is what I think is required here. And I do know that it can be done on the D 9000's, however from memory I think it has to be done at the ISL prompt.

It was a long time ago that I did this 1999 I think, but I do know that it can be done.

I would check out the Initial System Load commands and possibly the Guardian Service Processor Commands as I'm sure that this is where it is done from, I have only ever done this once and as I no longer work on HPUX kit I'm very rusty.

Regards

Dave