snmpset error message?

Hi,

I am getting an error as a result of the execution of snmpset command for setting some network values.Can you please let me know the reason for this error messsage.

Error in packet.
Reason: noAccess

With Regards
Dileep Pattayath

SNMP variables can be marked "read only" so that they cannot be set. Additionally, recent SNMP versions provide security restrictions on settable variables. I propose you look at the documentation of your network device and make sure that you are indeed setting a read-write variable, and then see if there is some kind of password scheme.

Thanks for your response.Can you please tell me what will be the response of an snmpset variable call to a non-existing variable across the network?

I mean let us take the scenario of session. I want to set a particular value for a session variable across the network,if the session is active. Incase if it is notactive i can't able to set the value since it is not in scope.

So i want to know in the above case whether we will get the same response as i posted or a different one? Please suggest

With Regards
Dileep Pattayath

I don't know why you would use SNMP for something like "a session". The SNMP response to a non-existing variable depends on the implementation of the SNMP agent on the network device. Try giving it a completely nonsensical variable name to see what happens.