Skype on Slackware 64

Hi!
I've downloaded the static version (skype_static-2.1.0.81.tar.bz2) and extracted it. Then I tried to start the Skype executable file (./skype) via the terminal but nothing happens.

root@xxx:~# ls
skype_static-2.1.0.81/  skype_static-2.1.0.81.tar.bz2
root@xxx:~# cd skype_static-2.1.0.81
root@xxx:~/skype_static-2.1.0.81# ls
LICENSE  README  avatars/  icons/  lang/  skype*  skype.conf  skype.desktop  sounds/
root@xxx:~/skype_static-2.1.0.81# ./skype
bash: ./skype: No such file or directory

What am I supposed to do now ?

Hi!

Try:

file skype

If it says that skype is an "ELF 32-bit LSB executable" then you can look here:
Multilib Slackware for x86_64 - Alien's Wiki,
to see how to enable your 64-bit Slackware to run 32-bit programs by installing "multilib" versions of system libraries.

I have installed those multilib packages but still had a problem with skype: it's login window appeared, but after the password being entered it crashed with the message (on terminal):

Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-open.c: 623: _dl_open: Assertion `_dl_debug_initialize (0, args.nsid)->r_state == RT_CONSISTENT' failed!

After some googling I have found that something is wrong with pulseaudio shared libraries which skype it trying to load at run time. I don't use PulseAudio anyway (I'm using ALSA), so I just have removed them (there should be no libpulse* shared library files in /usr/lib/ or /usr/lib32/). Now my skype works. (I have the dynamically linked version from the file: skype-ubuntu-intrepid_2.1.0.81-1_amd64.deb. Despite it's name it contains a 32-bit executable as the 'file skype' command shows).

Hef

Thanks very much ! I'll try !