CBMCGeneral
CBMCQualDisp
CBPLQualDisp
CBQualNonCID
CBRColl
CBRecon
CBRepr2
CBRisk

if the line is present in both files then the line should be written to a third file; if it is not there is both files then it should be ignored.

$ ruby -ne 'BEGIN{a=File.read("file1").split(/\n+/)}; print $_ if a.include?($_.chomp)' file2
grep -f file1 file2

note the order of grep. file2 should come first.

yes, thank you to point that.

here is the code which no care of the files sequence.

awk 'NR==FNR{a[$1]++;next} a[$1] ' file1 file2

And that would have to be:

grep -Fxf file2 file1

otherwise BCSpeciality would get matched for example..

The order does not matter if you use:

awk 'NR==FNR{A[$0];next}$0 in A' file1 file2

S.

--
kurumi, I get:

-e:1: undefined local variable or method `a' for main:Object (NameError)

---------- Post updated at 07:16 ---------- Previous update was at 06:57 ----------

rdcwayx,
by using $1 instead of $0 awk would match words instead of lines. It could well be that is what the OP actually intended - in fact that would seem likely - so your awk would be better suited and then

grep -wFf file2 file1

would be needed, and my awk would become:

awk 'NR==FNR{A[$1];next}$1 in A' file1 file2
1 Like

For this task, the order is irrelevant; a successful match must only occur when the line is in both files.

The problem here is the use of regular expressions for what is a fixed-string job. The -f option without -F uses basic regular expressions. If they aren't wrapped with "^" and "$", they allow substring matches to occur. That's incorrect for this case. Matches must be whole lines.

To make matters worse, if a line contains a regular expression special character (such as a "."), it may match a character that is not its literal self. Properly escaping a file to protect against this is error prone.

The correct solution is to avoid regular expressions and instead use fixed strings (-F) that must match an entire line (-x).

grep -Fxf file1 file2

or

grep -Fxf file2 file1

They are interchangeable.

Regards,
Alister

1 Like

@scrutinizer, i have no problem. Using 1.9.1

$ ruby -ne 'BEGIN{a=File.read("file1").split(/\n+/)}; print $_ if a.include?($_.chomp)' file2
CB
CBAPQualDisp
CBCimsVFTRCK
CBDSNQualDisp
CBDefault
CBDisney
CBFaxMCGen
CBMCGeneral
CBMCQualDisp

OK, I am using 1.8.7p249

---------- Post updated at 07:42 ---------- Previous update was at 07:27 ----------

True, but it is perhaps good to note the order would be relevant if the OP meant to match words instead of lines and would use the -w option..