Simple C program to count word lengths

So my program is not working and I keep changing it to figure out why. So I have two questions, can I do tracing similar to bash, and also what is wrong with this.

The idea is simple, I want to count "word" lengths, with the loose definition of word not being a space, tab, or newline. Here is what I wrote to test if it is counting words by outputting the number of 3 letter words, but it always gives 0.

#include <stdio.h>

main() {

int c, i, state, wl;
     int maxlength[15];

#define IN 1
     #define OUT 0

wl = i = c = 0;
     state = OUT;

for (i=0; i < 15; ++i)
          maxlength = 0;

while ((c = getchar()) != EOF) {
          if (c == ' ' || c == '\t' || c == '\n') {
               if (state == OUT)
                    ;
               else if (state == IN) {
                    state == OUT;
                    ++maxlength[wl];
                    wl = 0;
               }
          else { 
               ++wl;
               state = IN;
          }
          }
     }
     printf("Number of 3 letter words: %d\n", maxlength[3]); 
}

Hi,
Already, you have typo:

else if (state == IN) {
                    state == OUT;
                    ++maxlength[wl];
                    wl = 0;

Regards.

1 Like

Thanks! I'm always good for a few typos...

So I corrected the typo and recompiled and re ran a test, and still a perpetual zero result when supplied with 3 letter words.

My logic is very wrong somewhere.

You are getting into the if(c == '\n') section with state as still OUT and thereby bypassing your ++maxlength[wl].

I don't think state serves any function at all though. You could dispose of it and just ignore anything with wordlengths of 0, for much simpler logic.

1 Like

You have another error: closure of first [C]if[/C] is after last [C]else[/C] and not before:
Your code corrected:

#include <stdio.h>

main() {

int c, i, state, wl;
     int maxlength[15];

#define IN 1
     #define OUT 0

wl = i = c = 0;
     state = OUT;

for (i=0; i < 15; ++i)
          maxlength = 0;

while ((c = getchar()) != EOF) {
          if (c == ' ' || c == '\t' || c == '\n') {
               if (state == OUT)
                    ;
               else if (state == IN) {
                    state == OUT;
                    ++maxlength[wl];
                    wl = 0;
               }
          }
          else { 
               ++wl;
               state = IN;
          }
     }
     printf("Number of 3 letter words: %d\n", maxlength[3]); 
}

EDIT: Script to count word sort by lenght:

sed -e 's/[\t ]/\n/g' file | awk 'length($0) {A[length($0)]++}END{for (i in A) print "word length of "i"=>"A}'

Regards.

1 Like

That was it! Its working now. Thanks to both of you for the help.

Looks like an assignment question to me

I'm not sure what you are tying to imply, but I am currently doing the classic K&M C programming language book for self study.

Answers to all questions are freely available on numerous sites, and I can and will consult them if need be, but I would rather ask here as I would rather do the "bulk" of the question myself, as in the case here. Simply consulting the answer is not very academically useful.

I generally gain useful nuggets of wisdom here that I will not gain elsewhere.

Hi Riker1204,
I believe flimbar was asking whether or not this was a homework assignment. As you know, homework assignments are only accepted at The UNIX & Linux Forums in the homework and coursework questions subforum under special homework rules.

Obviously disedorgue and Corona688 did not believe that this was a homework assignment and it didn't appear to me to be one to me either, but it is close to that point where we start to wonder. When you start threads like this in the future, you might want to explicitly mention what you are doing and what prompted you to ask your question so readers won't wonder if you're asking us to do your homework for you.

Cheers,
Don

PS. What is the classic K&M C programming language book you referenced? The classic C book I usually think about is K&R C.

Hey Don,

I meant K&R! Sorry for the confusion.

Also, very happy to follow your instructions, which means stating I am solving a question from a book and possibly the question itself ( correct?).

None of my work is "homework", as I'm not in school nor getting graded and such. Simply learning for learning sake.

Thanks

Not a problem. (The keys on my keyboard seem to move while I'm typing sometimes too. :o )

Yes, stating that you are a self-taught student working on a question from a book, citing the book, and quoting the question always helps.

We are all hoping to learn from others on this site, and hopefully, help others learn from our experiences; that's what we're all here to do.

Perhaps if you use a suitable C interpreter. I haven't tried it, but you could have a look at Ch : Ch -- an embeddable C/C++ interpreter, C and C++ scripting language