Similar Threads Redesign for UNIX.com

Hello.

I have redesigned our "similar threads" for a more "clean style" in both the desktop view and the mobile view for the forum "show thread".

The new design is a simple straight-forward use of div elements and all the legacy table elements have been removed.

The result is a "clean" style which works well in both mobile and desktop.

Enjoy!

PS: I also think this new design will help with SEO a bit as well, which has already been improving quite a lot lately as traffic from search engine referrals continue to rise steadily since May when I started making changes based on recent updates to Google's algo.

Note: Have also updated the "show posts" pages of the desktop view with the same "clean" style.

1 Like

Update:

1. Added similar thread count and item numbers to each entry.
  2. Added "total replies" to summary text (at the end).
1 Like

Also,

• Updated the maximum number of similar threads to show to 10 (again) from 5.

I changed this from 5 to 10 a while back, but for some reason, it got switched back to 5.

Update.

Added some new discussion status information to each similar thread block, for example:

Another example:

1 Like

Yes, and doesn't it look good.

Yes it does ... :slight_smile:

Mobile and desktop !

Hi Neo...
I rather like the layout and overall look. No quibbles at all...

Yes Sir.

For a "quick fix" it came out really nice and more importantly it adds value to every thread and post.

I am considering a new matching algorithm to match man pages to discussion threads and another to match discussion threads to man pages. A kind-of "similar threads" for man pages in the DB and "similar man pages" for discussion threads.