shutdown question from command line

solaris 10

logged in as root to command line...want to shut the system down....could not do this....when i chose shutdown the system seemed to squawk at me saying i'd lose whatever i was working on would be lost unless i logged out...after proceeding through this it took me to the gui log in screen...if i logged out of the session i just went back to the login...is there a way to shut the computer down from the command line? thanks.

init 5
or
shutdown -i5 -g0 -y

You should wait it for kill process first when it back to login screen you don't be anything , Wait a moment after that it should be shutdown automatic :slight_smile:

PS: Before you wait it moment you must use init5 or shutdown -i5 -g0 -y first :smiley:

thanks folks.....worked like a champ...i can see where you have to conclude all processes first before shutting down...

Concept of solaris when it startup and shutting down

when it start it will start daemon and process by order at /etc/rcS.d , /etc/rc1.d , /etc/rc2.d /etc/rc3.d ans when it shutdown it will
invert order 3->2->1->S

In that directory consist os

Kxxx and Sxxx

S = start ( system will run it automatically when it boot up )
K = kill ( system will run it automatically when it shutdown)

Cheers,

Sorry for my english

gaosutlor,

your english is fine. far better than i could do in whatever language is native to you...cheers.