shmat() permission denied, what's this?

I have installed an application that runs correctly for root but not other users. The application generates an error that indicates users don't have permission to attach to shared memory. A daemon process creates the shared memory segment. I've checked every permission I can think of but nothing seems to work.

The same application runs properly on an identical system (ie identical OS and hardware). This is an area I know little about so I don't know how to troubleshoot. Is there a way to view shared memory information so that I can see what permission users need?

xyz

Try:
ipcs -m

thanks perderabo,

that's the boost I needed to get me over the hump.

when the daemon process was first started on the system it's executable file had the wrong group designation. I changed the group of the file and restarted the daemon. However "ipcs -m" showed that the deamon memory segment group didn't change. Furthermore, I noticed the segment was not destroyed when the daemon was killed. I used "ipcrm" to remove the memory segment manually. Then I started the daemon again. This time "ipcs -m" showed the daemon's memory segment in the correct group. Now all users can run the app properly.

thanks again for the tip.