Shell Installer GUI

Hey guys,

I just can't seem to find any hints on this topic (or maybe I just don't find the correct search terms to use :rolleyes: ).

My company developed an application which requires harsh configuration to run it on a server. So I wrote a LOT of shell scripts which take care of the installation routine. Unfortunately these scripts are not very fail safe and the possibility of letting the user interact with the installation (which in some cases is required) is very limited. So here is my question:

Is there any easy way (a tool) to create a "GUI" for shell based installations? Something like the NVIDIA or ATI graphics card driver installation routine for example. What I basically need is the ability to let the user enter certain configuration parameters (e.g. hostname, ports etc), maybe a yes/no select, a dropdown, progress bar etc.

Something that let's me create installers like this would be awesome:

I wouldn't mind if this only works on certain linux systems (My main target system is openSuSE Linux 11.3).

If there is not tool for that could someone of you point me to a good tutorial on how to write that type of installers in shell?

Thanks in advance for any hints.

Cheers

Patrick

Take a look at dialog, Newt/whiptail, or Zenity.

1 Like

Thanks for the fast help pludi. Newt looks promising. I'm going to check into that.