Sharing storage, no network

Does anyone know of any way to share storage between 2 machines without networking?

I have a server that is constantly connected to a VPN that cuts off network access to every non-VPN network. This presents a problem when I have to transfer big files off of that server on to my internal network.

Is there a way I could transfer that data to a storage device that could be accessed by another server that has internal network connectivity? Not looking for a native Linux/Unix solution, if there is something that could be purchased, that would work too.

Thanks.

Use a floppy or writable cd/dvd.

Not very condusive to automation and scripting. Anything else?

The "no network" stipulation rules out damn near everything except communication via serial ports. Why can't you put your computer on the VPN?

Not true. Communication via serial ports is ruled out as well.

If you have a shared storage box, may be you could setup something like business copy between the two? This is actually shared storage, and I dont think that you need to share a network.

Maybe I should have said anything excluding TCP/IP. I thought about serial for a few seconds, but I don't want to transfer > 1GB over 38400 baud. I just thought there may be something out there that allows the sharing of local media over USB or firewire. I'm no expert on the technology, but it seems like there should be something like that out there.

tjlst15, if I understand your problem, this might be helpful. :cool:

I recently had a similar problem with my home(SOHO) network and I was able to use a Maxtor external HDD. I booted up an older PC used as a server using a bootable CD-ROM with Acronis True Image 8 on it. I was then able to back up that machine to the external HDD.

The disk format used by external HDD might be a problem, so might want to repartition it to use ext3. I was using NTFS, but Acronis was able to write to an NTFS disk.

I was moving a fairly small amount of disk data(192 MEGs with compression), so a USB 1.1 port was good enough for the purpose, but in your sitch a faster USB 2.0 port might be helpful. (The Maxtor 80GB external HDD that I have supports USB 2.0, but is backward compatible with a USB 1.1 port.)

Does this help?