Shared memory in linux

Hello, I am using Linux os.

[tom@tattu ~]$ df -k /dev/shm
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs                  2023256   1065000    958256  53% /dev/shm
[tom@tattu ~]$

Based on my google this, it is shared memory. What is this shared memory and where exactly it is used? Can you please help me to understand more about this?

Shared memory is physical memory that is used by two or more different processes at the same time.

Ex: shared libraries. This is code that gets loaded into memory, and all processes running on the system see it an use it at the same time.

Thanks....

shared memory isn't quite the same thing as /dev/shm. shared mem can be done many ways actually. /dev/shm is essentially a RAM disk.

shm/shmfs is the filesystem used by used for temporary storage as tmpfs .
/dev/shm is the physicaly shared memory from RAM which is used to speed up execution in Linux/unix . i.e. if a programme is having a portion of memory that can be shared to another programme if permitted .

We can increase our /dev/shm if we have enough RAM , for better performance .

Program code ends up cached in RAM anyway. Shared libraries end up in shared memory anyway. You might want to rethink your strategy for improving performance.

/dev/shm is often used to explicitly create memory blocks for processes to share between them but in the end is just a ramdisk, no more, no less.