Shared hosting, how to install programs and libraries in your home folder

Hi all

I hope I am posting in the right section. If not please excuse me and redirect me to the right section.
Here is my problem:

I am using a shared hosting plan at Godady. I have shell access and of course my own folder.
I would like to be able to install programs in my own folder (small utilities) which usually look for their shared libraries in predetermined folders.
Basically the issue is described here Shared Libraries
What I do not understand is this: are the programs coded/written to look for specific libraries in one folder and only one (like /usr/local/lib) or they will search the entire path?

Can anybody explain me what I have to do to in a simpler way? The above document is a little to much for me I am afraid.

My whole ordeal is documented here Re: [rrd-users] RRDTools Server and Installing RRDTools in a shared host

I basically need help for the last part of my issue described there where the program is asking for some .so files

Thank you
PF

Generally you can look through the make and config files to see where the paths are for those files. They are set to /usr/local/lib by default. The configure file should have the path to the location, and the make file has some options for searching for specific library files:

GNU `make'

I don't have access to make either.
I need a solution to deal with already compiled programs (binaries).

Looking at what make does or needs won't solve the problem because I won't be able to change the things. I believe that if the program is configured to search all the paths for shared libraries I do have a chance. If the program is configured to look only in one place I don't have any chance to make it work.

I assume you mean the shared web hosting, ok it looks like you're tying to install/use RRDTools and have tried the binaries and you are having a problem with it not loading the shared libraries to use the program.

And just to let you know the reason why there are (mostly) no shared libraries or access to a compiler such as make or gcc is because they don't want you to install some random piece of software that could break or compromise the machine.

EDIT: What Simon says is also true, which is also what I've said, it just looks like they don't have the modules that you want to use. If they can't/won't help you, then your only other option is to find a web host that can help you and/or get a virtual/dedicated server in which you can install your own programs on.

I do know the reason, thanks! :slight_smile:
All I needed was a solution to my problem :smiley: