SFTP to VM Linux

Hi . We have customer users uploading sales data in excel format in a portal, once this file is uploaded a batch process will SFTP the file from here to a linux virtual machine and then to the mainframe . We are seeing that there are many cases where all the rows the user entered in excel file is not getting transmitted to virtual machine .

How we can make sure that all the rows gets transmitted to virtual machine , if all the rows gets transmitted then only transmit to mainframe else ? is there any specific design considerations we need to follow ? Please suggest valuable thoughts on this ?

Regards
Ron T

So, if I understand you correctly, the file incomplete when it arrives and gets processed on the mainframe.

You could try one or more of the following:-

• Checksum before and on receipt to unix server.
  • Sending a flag to say "I've sent the whole file now" in case you are sending on the file before it has fully arrived and check for that before sending it on
  • Rename the file on completion from a temporary name
  • Put a marker in the file to indicate a complete send and check for it
  • Check for file-in-use with fuser or similar

There are probably other ways to do this too, but could you confirm the issue you are having. if, when you look a little later, the file is complete on unix then you are probable firing prematurely (not a euphemism) on the process to send the file on to the mainframe. It's all about getting dependencies into a disconnected process.

I hope that this gives you some options to work with.

Robin